Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 19, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016


Tonight's photo was taken in June of 2004. We took Mattie to visit Peter's parents in Boston. As you can see Mattie was enjoying his time on their tree swing. The ironic part in all of this was when Mattie was initially introduced to any sort of swing, he was cautious and didn't particularly care for the motion. However, he definitely overcame that fear and not only came to love motion, but loved the adventure that motion could produce..... such as roller coasters for example. 






Quote of the day: It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't. ~ Barbara Kingsolver


For dads, whose child has died, it is hard to know how to acknowledge Father's Day. After all there are no cards and hugs coming their way from their children who died all too soon. Yet these men will always be fathers. In a way it takes a great deal of nurturing, energy, and devotion to keep the memory of a child alive within one's heart and in the minds of others. A few days ago I received this poem from a grief organization, and posted it on Facebook and now the blog. The premise of the poem is to acknowledge father's who lost a child, and if the child could talk to them on Father's Day, this is what the child would say. But notice that on the top of the poem, it says "Dear Mr. Hallmark." What I love about this is it is a message to Hallmark...... start making cards for moments like ours!



THE POEM:

I send this message to my dad from not so far away because I know this day is hard - it's nearly Father's Day. 

I know that we just talked about a card for moms this year, and how no cards were anywhere for an angel like me to share.

And now I find no card again for a dad as great as mine. To thank him for the life he gave to his child whose gone in time. 

He's still the one that I call Dad. Wherever I may reside He tries so hard to comfort mom. Sometimes his tears he hides. 

I hear him as he talks to me, to my picture or to the air. You see I really need a way to let him know I'm there. 

It's hard for me to comfort him to soothe away his sighs. To tell him, "Dad I am okay, I'm right here at your side."

I see in both my mom and dad they grieve in different ways. I know they love me equally, please tell them it's okay. 

My dad he cries while in the car, the shower hides his tears. He holds to all of his regrets while rethinking all my years. 

I need some way to tell him he did it all just fine. That no one is so perfect - to give love is what's divine. 

And so you see, dear Hallmark man, I need to let him know he's the best dad ever then and now - giving all he can bestow. 

My dad, my friend, the one with whom I could walk and talk and play - He needs to be remembered too, like the others on Father's Day. 

Please help me find that special way to tell him all he's been. That by his side each day I'll stay until reunited again. 


In honor of Father's Day, here are some photos of Peter and Mattie through the years! 



The day after Mattie was born (April 5, 2002). I was so out of it an recovering from two surgeries..... that Peter really did all of Mattie's care the first week of his life.













Practically every weekend we walked on Roosevelt Island
with Mattie. We saw the seasons change together, and not to mention we watched Mattie grow up on the island (from being carried on as a baby to him running around on his own). 










I love this photo which I took at Huntington Gardens in California. Neither one of them knew I was photographing them! Typical Mattie.... always investigated the world around him!











Another Mattie classic! We took him to a petting zoo, and Mattie was just not sure how to approach this goat. Once he watched us and saw how docile the animal was, Mattie then followed suit. 










Mattie visiting my parents in California. Mattie was intrigued with the piano and started tapping away at the keys. 













Matching Preschool t-shirts! When I saw these two dressed this way.... it merited a photo!















We took Mattie to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We went to tour the Wright Memorial, where the Wright brothers discover the art and science of flying. The exhibit featured all aspects of flight in the United States, and you can see Mattie and Peter posed by an astronauts uniform. What you may not be able to tell was Mattie was sitting in a back pack on Peter's back while taking this photo. 




The Boston Red Sox, DC Fan Club!

















Father's Day 2007... Mattie's first DC Duck Tour! Mattie thought this was quite the adventure since this tour bus drives on land and floats on water!












This says it all..... while home between treatments, Mattie crawled up on top of Peter for comfort.



1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
Your quote today is perfect for so many thoughts and emotions, I had today. Thinking about all the dads, who long to hold their child, hug their child and spend the day celebrating fatherhood. I know so many who live this life.
In a split second life can change, I learned this a long time ago. It makes me reflect on my life and never take for granted people in my life.
I hope too, that the knowledge of the tenuous hold, we all have on life makes me more sensitive and caring to others.
Thank you for each picture, you posted today. They were testimony to the strength and love that flowed and continues to flow through the three of you constantly.
Mattie's life was way too short and for this I am profoundly always sorry. Thank you for all the things, you teach me. There are many great lessons in all our conversations and what we write to each other. I feel Mattie's presence in all the pictures and conversations!!!!!

Margy