Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 12, 2018

Monday, February 12, 2018

Monday, February 12, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. Mattie was visiting Legoland. Mattie went to Legoland at least three times in his lifetime. He never got tired of it, and in fact he grew with the rides. As you can see at age 3, he was taking kiddie rides. But as he got older, Mattie ventured right to the roller coasters. This was one of the ways we greatly differed!!! Mattie loved fast rides and fortunately so does Peter. They were a good tag team. Meanwhile, my parents and I were the observers and picture takers. We were just fine with that, as long as Mattie was having a good time. 




Quote of the day: The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.Mahatma Gandhi



My mom and I have a running joke this week. She has nicknamed me, "quick quick" and she is "slow slow." What is she talking about? She is referring to my ability to get tasks and chores done quickly. I do not dilly dally around and when I focus, I can get a lot done in a short period of time. 

This is a photo of the outside of my parent's home. They have lived up in the hills for 11 years now. But soon they are putting their house up for sale. When I come and visit, I try to help with chores that they may want to get done. On the outside of the house, are lights, that look like lanterns. When Burbank had a massive brush fire in September, the ash from this fire went everywhere. Including inside homes! Today I removed a ton of ash from the outdoor lanterns. My mom couldn't get over how fast I got up and down on ladders and got the job done. 

The other task I took on was cleaning the lovely fountain in their backyard. This fountain was filled with ash  and leaves. It was a total body work out to remove pails of mucky water and piles of leaves. Every muscle feels it today!

This morning, I received photos from DC. My friend, Ann, went to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital to deliver sweet treats and Valentine's Day cards to the pediatric nurses. 

Ann's daughter, Abbie and her Girl Scout Troop (#2342) created these lovely handmade cards and baked Valentine's brownies. Pictured with Ann is Tricia. 

Tricia was Mattie's favorite HEM/ONC nurse. How do I know? I know because one day Mattie screamed out Tricia's name across the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit hallway. When Tricia came over to Mattie, she wasn't sure what on earth he was going to say to her! But what came out of his mouth surprised us all. Mattie said, I LOVE YOU! These were not words Mattie used lightly. So if he said this to you, he meant it. Tricia may have been Mattie's nurse, but she honestly cared for all three of us, advocated for us in crucial situations, and continues to share our cancer journey with us. As Tricia knows that the psychosocial issues do not end when the treatment does. 

A photo of some of the brownies and cards!
Tricia sent me photos of the cards, which I appreciated, since I wasn't there to see them for myself. 
I hope these cards and brownies brightened the day of all the pediatric nurses. As they are incredible women who serve on the front line of psychosocial care for children with medical crises. 

No comments: