Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 16, 2018

Friday, February 16, 2018

Friday, February 16, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken on Valentine's Day of 2009. This photo was taken after the one I displayed on last night's blog. Mattie surprised me at the hospital that day with a crown of paper hearts and this box filled with cut outs
and drawings. To this day I still have this box inside my closet. I remember that moment in time. Mattie celebrated many holidays and weekends in the hospital. The hospital was practically our second home, and we saw more of that second home that year, than we did of our actual home.  





Quote of the day: Few men during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used. Richard E. Byrd


This afternoon we met up with my dad's long time friend, John, and his wife Phyllis. I have known John since I was in high school. So one could say, I grew up with John as we would get together with him for dinner every Friday when I was in high school. He was practically part of our family. Now my parents continue the tradition with lunch every Friday. 

I had lunch with John and Phyllis last Friday and today. The waiter snapped a photo of us to capture the moment. I should mention however, that the restaurant is also noteworthy! 

When Mattie was alive, we use to take him to this restaurant. It was one of his favorites as they made homemade pizza. But he loved this outside terrace, and especially loved the lion head fountain on the terrace. Mattie always wanted to sit at the table right next to the lion. I can't come to this restaurant without seeing the table we used to sit at with Mattie, and remembering those times! 

It is hard to believe that a week has gone by already! Tomorrow I head back to DC. In a way being here is disorienting because the sun is always out, the weather is glorious, and everything is green. Keeping in mind that it is February. I am not sure why I am so confused, but it maybe because I don't typically come to Los Angeles in the winter time, I forgot how lovely it can be!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, California is beautiful in February. I remember visiting Kristy when they lived there, thinking what an absolutely beautiful place!

Seeing the Lion & exact table must bring a mixture of heartbreak & joy, that those things are still there. I am glad you have the beautiful memory but so sorry it is but a memory with Mattie for you. The unfairness of life is often glaring in the memories, we hold close to our hear.

I love seeing pictures of your parents!