Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 29, 2019

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 -- Mattie died 489 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2007. Mattie was 5 years old and in kindergarten. I enrolled Mattie in an after school club called, construction club. Mainly because the club was run by Mattie's kindergarten teacher and Mattie showed interest in building and constructing. In any case, what you see in front of Mattie, was one of his creations. The club used a lot of every day materials found around the house! Mattie absolutely loved using a glue gun and tape and frankly construction club was a great experience for him, because he came into his cancer journey with the love of building. Which made it easier to entertain Mattie in a small hospital room, as he needed boxes and every day materials to create. I can't tell you how prolific Mattie was in the hospital! Many of his creations still surround us in our home today. 


Quote of the day: No friendship is an accident. ~  O. Henry



Today I went to visit my friend who is managing with metastatic cancer. It is hard enough to be diagnosed with cancer, but learning one has metastatic cancer adds another complicated layer to the equation. Mainly because with many metastatic cancers, a "cure" is no longer possible. The best medicine can do for you is to try to keep your disease stable, until the next medical break through is developed. A rather sobering reality if you ask me. Yet the medical profession seems oblivious in addressing this psychosocial reality. But I assure you hearing this news has consequences. 

In any case, while I was with my friend, her medical provider called her. In the midst of the phone call, my friend learned the results from the blood test she took yesterday. First of all, hearing anything but glowing news over the phone is hard, but when there are unexpected changes (which unfortunately always arise), then naturally a patient has lots of questions and concerns! I am not sure why I was surprised by today's call, as I know all too well the lack luster treatment of psychosocial issues, yet I found I was internally getting angry listening to my friend as she was talking to the medical provider.  

The medical provider told her the results, which had changed from the last time she took the test. So my friend had concerns and questions as to why this change! In fact, she asked to have an appointment with her doctor to consult on this and on how this would impact her next infusion of meds. Here's the kicker. The medical provider on the phone deemed my friend medically stable and therefore felt she did not need an appointment with the oncologist. Are you getting the picture? In essence the provider discounted the psychosocial issues my friend was describing and experiencing, as if none of that mattered and was also not her responsibility to address. 

I was hearing all of this and remained calm. Actually showing no emotion! As I figured my distaste for what I was hearing would not serve my friend well. Yet I remained by my friend's side as she was communicating by phone. Later in the day, my friend thanked me for being so calm. As it helped her, and enabled her to reframe the situation and instead understand that if the doctor wasn't alarmed she shouldn't be either. I am very impressed with my friend and her courage, but I know thousands of patients receive news every day over the phone. They also maybe hearing this news without someone next to them who can help process the disheartening transaction. What happens to them? A rhetorical question!!! All I know is, with the state of health care, Mattie Miracle's voice is needed more than ever, and we have a long way to go to change a system that refuses to examine and treat a patient holistically!

1 comment:

Melody said...

So frustrating! I imagine being an advocate for yourself when you’re facing a chronic illness can be utterly exhausting. Day in and day out. Glad you were with your friend as she processed this information.