Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 7, 2021

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. That evening, Mattie joined his cousins and some preschool friends for Zoolights at the National Zoo. It was our first and last experience walking through the zoo at night. I am so glad we took Mattie and that we tried to make the most out of every day of his life. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 21,543,310
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 364,735

Today was quite the day. Besides my typical day of getting up at 6am and dealing with cleaning, cooking, caregiving, brain exercises, and my dad's physical therapy routine, I also landed up sweeping my parent's entire street. You read this correctly! Why was I doing this? Not because I had nothing better to do, but because there was broken glass up and down the street! It was a total mess. Not only could this impact car tires and pets, but I was worried about my dad who takes his walker up and down the street for his twenty minute daily walk. So we must have looked like a show today. My dad with his caregiver and walker, my mom following with my dad's wheelchair, and me with a garbage bag, broom, and dust pan. I honestly don't understand why our neighbors did not sweep the glass in front of their own houses! Why did I have to do it? Naturally I know the answer.... its the free rider problem. Someone else will take care it!!! I was that someone.

While in my parents garage a week and a half ago, I was working in the garage closet and noticed rat droppings. Being a city dweller, I know RATS! So I called my parent's exterminator. Thankfully the problem in no where inside the house, but I want to get on top of this so the problem isn't outside either. So I met with the exterminator today and he is addressing the problem. But that led to a clean out of the garage and I removed all of the rat debris. Honestly just when I think it can't get any better, it does!

Things come in threes! While going out to get the mail tonight, what did I see?! Two eyes staring at me.... a big raccoon. He wasn't moving and neither was I. It was a meeting of the minds. I told him to move along, and thankfully he complied. 

No comments: