Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 26, 2022

Sunday, June 26, 2022

Sunday, June 26, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007. This was Mattie's VERY first rollercoaster ride. We were at Dutch Wonderland that weekend, and I honestly did not know how Mattie was going to react to such rides. If he were like me, he'd hate them and they would provide great fear. In this particular instance, Mattie was exactly like Peter. Mattie took to the ups and downs like a duck to water. I can't remember how many times Mattie went on that ride that day, but I photographed the very first time. While this was going on, I was also observing parents teasing their young son about being afraid to go on the rollercoaster. They were waiting in line to board one of these rollercoaster cars. They were relentless with this child and finally I couldn't help myself, so I spoke up and gave it to them. They did not know what hit them!


Quote of the day: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. ~Princess Diana


Peter sent me some photos today from Rockport, MA. He took his parents to the Lobster Pool, a restaurant with great lobster by the water. 
I have been to this restaurant many a time with Peter's parents and they sent me a photo that they were thinking of me. 
Peter's parents enjoying their time with Peter!
If you read last night's blog, you will know that Peter was driving his parent's car yesterday from Massachusetts to Connecticut. The family gathered together to support Peter's uncle who is dealing with an aggressive cancer diagnosis. On the highway, one of the tires blew out. Peter put the tire in the trunk, and photographed it! This is extremely scary to hear as I know full well, that I am fortunate Peter is alive to tell the story. Peter is an experienced driver, which is probably the main reason they are all alive!









This afternoon, I took my parents out to brunch. Every Sunday we go to the same place and have the same server, Cheryl. We have gotten to know Cheryl over these 8 months and it turns out that one of her children is a cancer survivor. So we share childhood cancer and other things in common. For the next ten days, I knew Cheryl was going on vacation. However, she told me last week that she was going to work brunch today before heading to the beach. 

Since we are so fond of Cheryl, I bought her a Hallmark card and we put cash inside the card as a vacation gift. When we arrived at the restaurant today, we learned that Cheryl wasn't there! I was upset by this, especially since I wanted to give her my card. 

But this is the kind of person Cheryl is......  do you know that she called the restaurant today and asked if we were there? Not only did she do that, she drove to the restaurant and came to see us before going on her trip! As she knew we were coming in today, and though she tried to text message me earlier in the week, I never received her message that she wasn't going to be working today. Cheryl is bright and has a sixth sense about caregiving, so she knew if I got my parents in the car to come today, that I most likely would be upset that she wasn't at the restaurant as promised. 

Cheryl came to the restaurant, found us, pulled up a chair and sat with us for a few minutes. She even treated us to glasses of wine today!

It is so wonderful to know a person so kind and thoughtful. A person who thinks outside herself, and can empathize with another person's plight and feelings. I am very fond of Cheryl to begin with, but today really cemented to me what a class act she is! 

This is a photo of the card I gave Cheryl. The front of the card features a beautiful sunflower. Cheryl wears a sunflower pin, which I noticed immediately when I first met her. So in the card I told her my own sunflower story and why these flowers are SO special to me. I now have Cheryl's cell phone number and we have been text messaging back and forth today. I know my parents were upset to leave California and the various servers that cared for them there. However, I have to say the people we have met in the last 8 months, have restored my feelings about humanity. 

No comments: