Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 5, 2023

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was going through his chicken nugget and French fry phase. Whenever Mattie requested a particular type of food, we did whatever it took to find and retrieve it. I mean this literally. At 3am one day, while Mattie was hospitalized, he wanted Chef Boyardee. Do not ask me why, because this was not something we ever served Mattie. But he must have heard about it somehow and wanted it then and there. Of course, pre-cancer if Mattie made such an outrageous request at 3am, we wouldn't have accommodated it. But I distinctly remember Peter leaving the hospital and went to our local CVS which is open 24/7. Peter came back to the hospital with Chef Boyardee in hand. However it was a miracle that he wasn't injured as he told me about deer which jumped out in front of his car on the way to CVS. I honestly do not know how we survived any and all of this. 


Quote of the day: We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It’s easy to say, “It’s not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.” Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes. ~ Fred Rogers


It was another full day on the farm. My parents are still sick and now I am growing more concerned. With each day they do not move around and be active, the longer I feel it will take for them to rehabilitate and rejoin the world. I can see both of them are struggling now with movement. I recall learning in the hospital back in March 2022 (when my dad had his pacemaker surgery) that one day of being sedentary for an 80+ year old is equivalent to being idle for three to four weeks. 

At some point this week, I need to break their pattern and get them moving, even if they are not 100%. After my usual morning routine, I got my parents settled in the family room and Peter and I went out to the grocery store together. It was the FIRST time I left the house in a week! 

Sunny was sitting outside on the deck this morning and check out who came to spend some time with him..... Do you see the bird hopping on down? 



 
This week, our next door neighbors moved in. They have four children and this afternoon, they came over to thank us for all the gifts we brought over. This is Turner, and he is around Mattie's age! Turner loved Sunny and requested his photo taken with the Sunman! 


I have prepared three meals a day for a week now. Today, of course, our oven decided NOT to work! It truly is fitting! There are days I absolutely hate having a house, and this house in particular was such a nightmare to move into, because it needed a total overhaul of its infrastructure. I am hoping this oven problem is an easy fix, but if it is like everything else in my life, it is going to be a royal problem. 

No comments: