Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 10, 2023

Friday, March 10, 2023

Friday, March 10, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was in-patient at the hospital and that day he went down to the physical therapy clinic. Mattie built up this pyramid of blocks, and as you can see, he was sitting behind them,  anxiously awaiting to kick them all down. The building and kicking, were excellent activities to get him Mattie to use his arms and legs. Given that Mattie was recovering from limb salvaging surgery, his therapist had to find creative ways to get Mattie moving. Mattie loved a challenge and building, and therefore capitalizing on these strengths made his physical therapy sessions more effective. 


Quote of the day: According to the report Caregiving in the U.S. 2020: A focused look at family caregivers of adults age 50+ (conducted by the National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP), the number of individuals caring for older adults (those 50 years or older) has increased by 7.6 million caregivers since 2015.


In one of the professional association magazines I receive in the mail, I noticed an article entitled, The mental health needs of older caregivers. Naturally this caught my attention, so I decided to read it. For those of you who may not know, family caregiving isn't just something I do, it is something I also researched for my dissertation. I conducted original research with 100 caregivers in the Washington, DC area in 2003. Given that my maternal grandmother suffered a stroke when I was in college, and I observed how her devastating illness impacted her and my whole family, I entered graduate school compelled to study this phenomenon. 

While reading the article in the magazine, written by a mental health professional, I was immediately turned off. I mean way off. Mainly because she refers to those of us caregiving for aging parents as "old." I honestly couldn't get passed her terminology and therefore shut down from the whole premise of her article. When I conducted my own caregiver research, I was very sensitive to such terminology and you will never find the words elderly, senile, and other derogatory terms in my writings. 

However, what caught my attention in this article, was she cited the original study, entitled, Caregiving in the USA- 2020. This study was conducted by AARP and the National Alliance for Caregiving. I love the National Alliance for Caregiving and turned to them often as a graduate student, especially when I was looking for current studies and national data on caregiving. 

Some of the data from Caregiving in the USA study caught my attention, and I inserted a couple of the bar graphs below.

The study compares data from 2015 to 2020. What is startling is the duration of care has increased. In that 28% of family members are caregiving for someone five years or more. So the intensity of caregiving is not just a sprint, but a marathon in many cases. 

In addition there has been a 24% increase in the number of care recipients that one family member is managing. Though I may be in the minority, in that I care for two people at one time, my segment of the caregiving population is growing. 
This chart has me laughing. On average caregivers provide 22 hours of care to a loved one per week. This average for the week, equates to one day in my house. 
There appears to a rise in the number of care recipients living with their caregiver. A 32% increase since 2015. 
This chart explains the types of assistance caregivers provide on a daily basis. On average caregivers provide 1-2 forms of support that is listed here. I however, provide all of them on a daily/hourly basis. 
In addition to activities of daily living, I also provide all instrumental activity support. Everything listed on this bar graph falls into my daily/weekly list of tasks. 


When I see this actual data, it makes me pause and really reflect on why I am so tired. I try to push this reality aside (otherwise I couldn't get through the day, week, year), but these charts speak for themselves. It is very difficult caregiving for one person, but I have two and I have done this now since November of 2021, without a day off, time away, or any kind of break. It is no surprise that one loses one's self in the process, becomes isolated, and worse I have gotten used to this isolation because I know juggling any sort of social outlet would only further exhaust me.

No comments: