Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 6, 2023

Monday, March 6, 2023

Monday, March 6, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was home between hospital stays and Peter and him worked on Legos for hours and HOURS! Mattie was very happy to create a Lego village in our living room. Mattie could play with Legos for hours and in all reality, they were our life line to normalcy. They provided us the necessary diversion from cancer, to work as a family and just be ourselves. I can't tell you how much conversation occurred during these times. I think the activity of building enabled Mattie to let his guard down and just be a kid. 


Quote of the day: In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful. ~ Alice Walker


This morning I made the decision to send my dad back to his memory care program. He is basically stabilized and not coughing. His energy level is lower than ever and I feel it is crucial to get him moving and re-engaged with the world, before he can't! It was my hope that I could get my mom moving and outside too! It has been 8 days of being isolated at home, with non-stop cleaning, cooking, and managing symptoms and demands. 

Mid-day, I got my mom in to the car and took her to Starbucks. She loves having tea and snacks at our local store. We managed in the store for about one hour. After which, she developed a coughing fit and was coughing up yellow junk. So I removed her and took her right home. Today was her last day of antibiotics and I have already alerted her doctor that she may need more support. My mom suffered from pneumonia and sepsis years ago when I was in college. She got that sick because she was caregiving for her mother. Since that bout of pneumonia and hospitalization, she is quite fragile when it comes to colds and respiratory infections. While my dad is returning back to normal, my mom is still struggling. 

This afternoon, I had just about enough. After I got my parents settled in the family room, I encouraged Peter and I to get outside and go for a walk. Prior to my parents moving in, I could walk miles and miles a day! Now unfortunately they have depleted me. I get more tired and I don't have the energy I once did to walk. This is very depressing to me. We did get out and walked over two miles, but it is clear to me that I need a walking routine, both for my physical and mental health.

No comments: