Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 7, 2023

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Tuesday, March 7, 2023 -- Mattie died 701 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. This full body scan was taken at the hospital and it shows all of Mattie's prosthetic parts. I always joked with Mattie that he was the bionic man. He thought that notion was hysterical. I tried to make Mattie understand that having these prosthetic bones made him unique and that his bones would be stronger than anyone else's! The wire you see on the left hand side of the film was an IV with contrast, which was sent through Mattie catheter (connected directly to the large vein that led to Mattie's heart), to create these images. 


Quote of the day: The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the patient who has the disease. ~ Sir William Osler


This morning, I woke up, not in a great mood. I was juggling a lot as always, and had to get my dad up, dressed, fed and out the door to a doctor's appointment. Given that my mom is still not feeling well, I literally couldn't wait for her to get it moving to take her along to this appointment. So I left her at home. But before I left, she wanted to know where her new antibiotics script was! That sent me right over the deep end and I started screaming. 

Last night, I reached out to my mom's pulmonologist and I told her she isn't improving. Given her long standing lung condition, he decided at 10:30pm to put her on a strong antibiotic. Which meant that some time today I had to pick up the new script. How my mom thought I could have gotten up, got myself ready, the first floor cleaned up, breakfast made, my dad up, showered, dressed, the bed made, and laundry started, and also had time to go to CVS to pick up this script is beyond my comprehension. 

Of course in the moment, I can't always think rationally and calmly. Now looking back at this, I laugh. How I thought my mom could step outside of herself for one minute to rationally think about this is funny. Both of my parents are very myopic. Their needs are the priority ALL THE TIME. There is no room for anything else. I know this, and yet there are times this dysfunction gets the best of me. Like this morning!

After my tirade, I had to get my dad in the car and drive him to the hospital. It is about a 30 minute drive. My dad sees a rehab doctor every 6 months. This is the doctor we met last March, when my dad was admitted to the hospital for a pacemaker placement. It is thanks to this doctor that my dad was spared going to a nursing home for rehab. Thankfully he was admitted to the hospital's intensive rehab program for a week, where he did therapy three times a day, and this got him back into shape in order to be able to live at home under my care. 

While being examined today, the doctor did not like the sound of my dad's cough. Ten days of this cough and congestion and even antibiotics aren't helping. It was suggested that my dad see my mom's pulmonologist. So yet another think for Vicki to work on and figure out. 

No comments: