Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 8, 2023

Monday, May 8, 2023

Monday, May 8, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. It was only two months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. At that point I had NO idea that anything was wrong with Mattie. That day Mattie came home from kindergarten with MANY tent moth caterpillars. Because this was a spring tradition, we had two jars that we used for the process. As you can see Mattie was holding one of the jars. Mattie helped me with the entire process from daily cleanings of the jars (as caterpillars produce a lot of debris) to finding oak leaves for the caterpillars to eat. Then of course once the metamorphosis process was over, we had a moth releasing event on our deck. 


Quote of the day: While we try to teach our children all about life, Our children teach us what life is all about. ~ Angela Schwindt


It was my typical day here on the farm. However, later in the afternoon, I received a text message from my neighbor. She wanted to know if two of her children could come over to have a butterfly and ladybug releasing event in our backyard! Their house and backyard are under construction and the kids said the ladybugs and butterflies would prefer a flower filled backyard! Fascinating how observant children are! My little neighbor tells me often that we have many "decorations" in our backyard. When he first told me this, I was confused as to what he meant. Then I put two and two together and realized he meant flowers and plants! 

Any case, the request immediately reminded me of the photo I took of Mattie in 2008! Releasing events were part of our spring tradition, and I thought it was very meaningful that our neighbors would come over today. Of course they don't know the exact significance of this event to us, but nonetheless, I felt that Mattie was sending me a sign! He was with me today, with each butterfly and ladybug that flew away. 

This is my six year old neighbor, Turner. He is bright, sensitive, curious, and as you can see, Sunny likes him. 
This is Caroline (age 4) and Turner. A ladybug was crawling on Caroline and she was fascinated. I love these hands on activities with kids. To me this is the best way to learn. 
The kids with their mom, Lindsay. It was a lively afternoon in the backyard and it is lovely to know that we continued Mattie's tradition. He would be very pleased. 


No comments: