Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 9, 2023

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Tuesday, May 9, 2023 -- Mattie died 710 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. This was two months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. That day we took him for a walk on Roosevelt Island and along the way Mattie found a tent moth caterpillar. Mattie absolutely loved these creatures and we never came home from the Island empty handed. At one time, we had quite a rock, leaf, acorn, and stick collection.... LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE!





Quote of the day: In the end, though, maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives. In the end, maybe it's wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices. ~ Elizabeth Gilbert


As of this afternoon, Peter is on a business trip to Philadelphia. With Peter's new job comes travel. I am very happy for Peter, as this job comes at the right time in his career. He most definitely earned this position and I am glad he seems to be surrounded by colleagues who appreciate his skills, his commitment to patients and healthcare, and his determination and drive to make any company he runs successful. 

Of course whenever Peter goes away, it is challenging for me. Not that I try to pester him while he is working, but it is always good to know my wing man is home and available. My caregiving role is all encompassing and debilitating, but I continue to plug on and take it one day at a time. 


I took my parents to the hospital today, as my mom had a physical therapy appointment. Since I can't leave my dad home alone, he was in tow. After therapy, I took them both out for lunch. Along our journey, I stopped at Mattie Miracle's post office to pick up mail. Low and behold, there were a ton of donations to pick up. 

This leads me to tonight's quote! I am quite aware of the countless acts of kindness and generosity I have and continue to receive from our support community. When Mattie was diagnosed, I will never forget meals, toys, and gifts that we received daily for over a year. Then of course when Mattie died, the support changed. It went from helping us actively grieve to helping us raise funds to keep Mattie's legacy alive through his Foundation. There really are NO words to adequately describe our gratitude, but as this quote points out, I will continually and probably always say...... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for standing by us for over all these years. Our supporters are the gifts that Mattie left behind for us and we do not take this special connection you have with us lightly. 

No comments: