Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 10, 2023

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. I remember this day vividly. It was a Friday afternoon, and Peter got off of work earlier than usual. We walked down to the waterfront and hopped on a water taxi ride. We wanted to give Mattie a tour by water, since he loved boats so much. A fellow passenger suggested that he take a photo! I am so glad I handed him my camera! Back then, pre-iPhone days, I carried a small digital camera in my purse. I wanted to captured not just major events, but every day life and activities. Like being on the Potomac River with Mattie and Peter! 



Quote of the day: It is a charming quality of the happiness we inspire in others that, far from being diminished like a reflection, it comes back to us enhanced.Victor Hugo


This is day two of Peter being at a conference and meetings in Philadelphia. He sent me a photo of city hall. Peter and I went to Philadelphia years ago, when I was still in graduate school. We went there so I could attend a conference. One of the wonderful buildings that I loved is this one!
Peter sent me a photo to say hi and to also show me what he was wearing. Before he left, we put together outfits for him to wear. Certainly Peter could pick his own wardrobe, but now that he is a president, I feel it is important for him to look the part. Also many of his colleagues are women and most women (like myself) look at accessories, particularly shoes. 

After doing my usual morning routine, which included dropping my dad at his memory care center, I came back home and told my mom I was going to take Sunny for a walk. Sunny hasn't gone for a walk with me in MONTHS! 

My mom wanted to go on the walk, so I decided to drive all of us a few blocks away to where the entrance of the nature trail is located within our neighborhood. Sunny also doesn't have his endurance anymore since he started chemotherapy. So I have to walk slower and pace him appropriately. Because Sunny has slowed down so much, it makes it possible for me to hold the leash in one hand and my mom in the other. 

This deer greeted us at the entrance of the nature trail! 
I can't tell you how happy Sunny was, as he was sniffing and marking his territory. He may not be moving fast, but he still has spirit. 
My mom has a great deal of trouble walking on stones and uneven surfaces. So she held onto me for the whole walk. Her therapist seems to think that the more walking and challenges she does, the more comfortable my mom will feel about walking independently. We shall see! The verdict is out. 
The woods are glorious and today was the perfect weather day to be outside. These big green leaf like plants are everywhere! They are the Easter Skunk Cabbage. 

It is not a true cabbage, skunk cabbage is a member of a mostly tropical family of plants, the Arum family. Other well known members of the Arum family include callalilies, philodendrons, taros (elephant ears), as well as other native plants like Green Dragon and Jack-in-the-pulpit. Skunk cabbage gets its name from the pungent skunk-like odor released when any part of the plant is broken or damaged and from its large leaves which grow in a rosette somewhat like a cabbage.

This afternoon, I took my parents out for an early dinner. It was Cheryl's (our server) birthday today. Since we knew she was working on her birthday, we wanted to bring her gifts, a balloon, and several little bundtlet cakes. Cheryl takes such good care of all of us, she deserves to be celebrated. Because of my limited ability to socialize, Cheryl has become my friend. 
The birthday girl!











No comments: