Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 3, 2023

Monday, July 3, 2023

Monday, July 3, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on July 4th weekend in 2009. We worked hard to make this local trip away happen. We had to get the okay from Mattie's oncologist, because by that point Mattie's physical and emotional health were fragile. We went with a group of friends. As you can see, Mattie did not want his photo taken. This was a very difficult trip. Mattie may have been calm and cordial when others were around, but Mattie needed several breaks away from people and when we were with him alone in the hotel room, he literally had one meltdown after the other. It was just too hard for him to see other kids healthy, able to walk, and have fun. Whereas, he was confined to a wheelchair, bald, had a low energy level, and basically felt ill. In other words, Mattie didn't see himself as a child but as a child who had cancer.  I can still recall how I felt that weekend absorbing Mattie's feelings, how hurt he was, and how depressed I felt.

 

Quote of the day: Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity. ~ Coco Chanel


In preparation for our July 4th BBQ, I started putting platters of things together. To me watermelon is an Independence Day tradition. In any case, this is a fruit my dad LOVES, so needless to say it was definitely going to be on the menu. 
I spent two hours this morning cleaning fresh shrimp. I had to pull off shells, legs, and devein them! What a labor. My goal is to make shrimp skewers tomorrow. So I pre-cooked mushrooms and peppers (to help them cook through better when grilled) and them are marinading overnight, in a separate bag from the shrimp. Here is the recipe!
Meanwhile, our pool had an issue and the only way to fix it was with a scuba guy. Evan came over today and was giving us a thumbs up from under the water. I am telling you, some days I think I run a three ring circus. 
After several hours of food prep, I took my parents out to eat! What an ordeal. My dad had to go to the bathroom twice, and the last time was a disaster. I did not get him there soon enough and he pooped all over himself, his clothes, the bathroom floor, the toilet, etc! Fortunately I come armed with a tote bag filled with things to manage my dad and his situation. But I assure you, when already tired, coping with my dad's irritable bowel syndrome on top of dementia is a diabolical combination. 

I end tonight's posting with the first rubrum lily bloom of the season! It is gigantic! 


No comments: