Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 8, 2023

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on July 13, 2008. Literally ten days before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. At that point in time, we were clueless. What a beautiful place to be! Mattie had a loose tooth and he was trying to demonstrate by wiggling his tooth for the camera. What a precious face and Mattie got very excited when a tooth would come loose, because it meant he got to write a note to the tooth fairy. Mattie would write a note, leave it under his pillow, and then make requests of the fairy. He did not want money! Mattie would ask for hotwheel cars and one time he even asked for a necklace made out of uncooked pasta! Don't ask me, but the fairy got used to all sorts of requests coming from Mattie. 

Quote of the day: The trouble with anger is, it gets hold of you. And then you aren’t the master of yourself anymore. Anger is. ~ Jeanne DuPrau


This morning, after doing my usual chores, I awaited my dad's physical therapist to arrive. Once she showed up, I decided to go for a walk with Peter in our neighborhood woods. It is so so hot out, that I figured the woods would be shaded. On an aside, I have developed a horrible heat rash and had it since July 4. It isn't going away or getting better. 

Any case, look at how beautiful this green space is! Despite it's beauty I entered this space quite agitated and angry. I landed up yelling at Peter and then speed walking away from him. Given that Peter just had surgery, there was no way he could follow me. 

Despite the heat, I spent about 90 minutes walking and literally screaming alone. Screaming and talking to myself to be specific. Thankfully no one was around me, because I am quite sure I looked like I was ready to be committed. 

This instability is the direct result of intense caregiving for two people with dementia. It has caused havoc in my personal, professional, and married life. Yet from my parent's lens, their focus is on themselves and their needs. 

It is very frustrating to me, and I am trying to do what I think is best in terms of caring for my parents, but I can see that in the process this has come at a big price. I have no answers tonight, just anger, agitation, and sadness. While sitting down for the first time today, I received an email from a fellow friend, who is also a caregiver to a parent. She explained some of the issues she is confronting and truly her email was a gift. It made me feel less isolated, alone, and definitely made me feel that the issues I am facing now are NOT because of me, but because of the intense and relentless tasks I take on each and every day. Not that knowing this resolves my issues, but there is great comfort in knowing that I am not alone and other caregivers understand the devastating consequences of this role. 


No comments: