Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 6, 2023

Thursday, July 6, 2023

Thursday, July 6, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. At that point in time we really thought that our focus was going to be on rehabilitation, in order to help Mattie return to school in the Fall. Honestly what a joke! The reality was about a month later, we learned that Mattie's cancer metastasized  throughout his body. Yet Peter and I tried everything we possibly could to stabilize Mattie's cancer. Mattie's physical therapist, Anna, was a God sent. An outstanding person and professional and she was part of our journey every step of the way. What I love about this photo is you can see the negotiation going on between Mattie and Anna! 


Quote of the day: Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.Bruce Lee


It was a true three ring circus this morning. Poor Peter was up at 3am. He took an Uber to the hospital and he checked into day surgery at 6am. I truly wanted to go with him, but Peter was correct! There was NO WAY I could do this given all that I have to balance in any given day. Peter snapped this photo of himself in front of Georgetown Hospital. A PLACE WE KNOW ALL TOO WELL. This is Mattie's hospital, where he was treated and died. This hospital, in my opinion, holds Mattie's memory and spirit. So I knew Mattie was looking out for Peter today. 
Peter in the pre-op area! All of Peter's nurses were impressed with his can do attitude today. 
I dropped my dad off at his memory care center at 9am. I got on the road to the hospital after that drop off. At 9:45, my phone rang, and it was Peter's surgeon. Peter was in surgery for 90 minutes and the surgeon filled me on the success of the double hernia procedure. When a surgeon says that 'everything went as expected and there were no surprises,' that translates into.... the surgery was a success. I really appreciated this call because once I got to the hospital, I found out that with COVID policies have changed and family members are NO LONGER able to meet the patient in the recovery units. I wasn't happy. Thankfully I knew Peter was out of surgery and it went well because the electronic board which is supposed to update family members was far from helpful. It did not provide information in real time!


Before entering the hospital, I visited Mattie's memorial paver. This is a tradition with me.



When I entered the hospital, I had to go through a check in process. The woman I was interacting with was trying to tell me how to get to day surgery! She was irritating me because she wasn't listening to me. I know this hospital as if it were my second home. 

After I managed my way through this woman, I then visited the Children's Art Gallery on the way to the elevators to Day Surgery. 
Mattie's story and my collage are still on display! Keep in mind that we created these items in March of 2009! All these years later, they remain and are right next to each other. To me this is a piece of Mattie alive and well in the Art Gallery!
Peter streamlined himself through recovery! His nurse, Sade, was lovely and she had Peter's number! She brought him to my car and you can see even off of general anesthesia Peter looked perky! I am so glad Peter is home now and recovering. 
Our friends Ilona and Attila visited with my mom today and they brought these beautiful sunflowers and hand painted cards. Ilona is an artist and she knows how much I LOVE the sunflower. I am grateful that today is behind us and that with help, we were able to juggle it all. 


No comments: