Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 30, 2023

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. That day, Mattie's cousins were in town and spent the afternoon with us in Old Town Alexandria. Though it may look like Mattie was blending in and walking, he wasn't! He was very different and he felt very different both with tubes hanging from his chest, a bald head, and the inability to walk. He stood and posed for this photo, but by that point Mattie was wheelchair bound. 


Quote of the day: There is meaning in every journey that is unknown to the traveler. Dietrich Bonhoeffer


This may look like the sun, but it actually was a big Mattie Moon last evening, shining into my bedroom. 
Meanwhile, this morning, I went outside and look at our glorious butterfly bush! It lives up to its name. Swallowtails were everywhere!
A close up of this beauty! 
Meanwhile in addition to everything else I have going on, I have set up obstacle courses for my mom. She is getting re-evaluated by her physical therapist this week, and unless she shows progress, she won't qualify for more therapy. 

I have to admit that the actual assessments she has to pass are ridiculous. For example, she needs to be able to step over something that is about two shoe boxes in height and width. I am using this footstool to try to replicate those dimensions. The key with this test is to not slow down and take lots of little steps in between each hurdle. But to walk naturally and simply step over the obstacle. That is easier said than done. 

The other test my mom is being evaluated on is walking heel to toe, in a straight line. Her hands and arms have to be down by her side, and not up helping to provide balance. I would love to take a random assessment of people of ALL ages. I suspect that not everyone can do this tight rope walking test. Of course with age and with balance issues, this test becomes close to impossible, but I truly don't think this is a fair evaluation of someone's progress. But then again, when it comes to health insurance, nothing actually makes sense! I am preparing my mom for next week's testing as best as I can, but we may have to face it, she has had therapy for months now, and we may have to take a break.  

No comments: