Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 2, 2023

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2006. Mattie was four years old. We went for a nature walk that day and came across a fallen tree. Mattie wanted to get on top of it. Naturally I wanted to take a photo! However, look at Mattie's face! The translation was.... I am smiling, but I am really not in the mood for a photo mom! Mattie was used to my requests and for the most part he went along with them. But of course there were times, like this one, when he wanted to explore and did not want to be slowed down by my antics. 


Quote of the day: If everything seems under control, you’re not going fast enough.Mario Andretti


Apparently all my coaching of my mom this week made a difference. At 2:15pm, she went to her physical therapy session and got assessed. I am quite certain without me working with her all week, she may not have shown significant progress. Progress was needed in order to justify more therapy sessions. As it stood, her last PT session was going to be in two weeks. I believe that my mom needs as much PT as possible as she is still a fall risk. 

I worked with my mom on obstacle courses around the house, walking at a faster pace, and walking heel to toe. Like tight rope walking! Do not ask me why this is part of the assessment and why someone in their 80s would need to do this, but I have learned to pick my battles. Nonetheless, we have been practicing all of this for a week. 

My mom scored 22 on this assessment the last time. Today, she scored 25! That may not sound like much, but I felt like I won the lottery. The therapist was very pleased by this improvement too and now this has guaranteed my mom more sessions until the end of October. In two weeks, she will be working on new goals and at the end of the session, I think my mom felt very proud of her accomplishment. 

I celebrate the small victories, and today was definitely a victory. Sometimes I feel like I am just spinning my wheels and doing one task after the other. But this was case in point, where my intervention made a difference. Since my mom has moved in with us, her cognitive decline as been significant and this impacts her physical abilities. Therefore, I am pushing for her to get as much help and interventions as possible. 

1 comment:

Couponsheaven said...

What a heartwarming and triumphant post! 😊 Mattie's expression is priceless – we've all had those moments of wanting to explore without interruption. And your dedication to helping your mom shines through. The progress she's made in her physical therapy is truly inspiring. Your efforts have made a significant difference, and those small victories add up to amazing accomplishments. Keep up the fantastic work, both as a supportive mom and a caring advocate. Cheers to your mom's success and the power of your intervention! 🌟👏

couponsheaven.com