Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 1, 2023

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Tuesday, August 1, 2023 -- Mattie died 722 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. Mattie was five years old and that day he was invited to his friend, Kate's birthday party. Mattie was one of two boys at the party. That did not seem to bother him at all! It was his first time at a gymnastic party and he enjoyed interacting with the teachers, running around, and playing with his preschool friends. 

Quote of the day: Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient. ~ Steve Maraboli


It was another winner of a day here. On top of the usual juggling act, I had Blanca over to help me clean. Blanca has been with us since 2008, when Mattie was diagnosed. I was introduced to her by my neighbor in Washington, DC. He knew that I did not have time to clean and maintain the townhouse while I was caring around the clock for Mattie. So he sent Blanca to our townhouse one day and he paid for it. From that moment on, Blanca has been a part of our lives. 

While Blanca was here, my dad was sleeping in his recliner and I had my mom stay in my bedroom. That way she could lie down in bed and also watch TV, as she refuses to have a TV in her own bedroom. Any case, while they were lying down, I was doing all sorts of chores. In the midst of going about my business, Blanca came up to me as asked me if everything was okay. She felt I looked off and very sad. I was actually surprised by this, as I don't confide anything to her. 

I told her I was just very tired. I did not elaborate on it, but honestly I am thinking who on earth wouldn't be sad given what I am facing and balancing? It is a sad commentary on top of the fact that I already dealt with the most horrific form of caregiving..... providing care to a child with cancer, who also died. Some days I want to just go right back to bed and let everyone else around me figure it out. In my house it is very easy to feel under valued and unappreciated. 

The perfect storm here is when my mom and dad both want my attention and have needs that must be met at the same time. Neither help the other, and both think their own needs supersede the other. Tomorrow is my mom's physical therapy evaluation. I have no idea what the outcome will be, but will have to deal with the consequences one way or the other. 

No comments: