Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 21, 2023

Monday, August 21, 2023

Monday, August 21, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2008. This was Mattie's first month in treatment and that day he was in the out patient clinic, working at the art table. Mattie got the chance to experience working with pottery clay and created many wonderful pieces during his cancer treatment. You may see a big piece of pottery in front of Mattie. He designed a drive-in movie theatre and the big part of the structure was the screen. That day, Mattie was glazing his creation. He also made several clay hands! To this day, I have these clay hands and the movie theatre in my office on display.  


Quote of the day: You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~ Khalil Gibran


Peter's parents visited us from Thursday to today. By day 2, Peter's dad wasn't feeling well. He was dealing with nausea, diarrhea, and fever. Literally last night, I truly felt he should go to the ER to get examined because I wasn't sure it was safe for him to travel today. What I quickly learned is that I had to take a step back, because my style of managing healthcare doesn't gel with Peter's parents. So instead, I let Peter oversee what was going on, and if I was needed, I would help. This goes against my nature, because when things go wrong and people need help, I want to step in and assist. But my assistance and style are not always welcomed. Even if Peter's dad was going to be fine, you truly do not know how a virus will impact the health of an 89 year old. Especially one who has heart and other health issues. To me, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Any case, they did make it home safely, thankfully. 

It was a long four days and when illness is involved, and that means extra cleaning. I did five loads of laundry, scrubbed many surfaces with Clorox and used Lysol everywhere. It isn't just our own health, but I have to be concerned with my parents, who when sick, take forever to recover.  

Here is the highlight of my day! Between chores, I took my mom out to lunch. My dad was at his memory care center, and I truly needed a break from cooking, cleaning, and managing everyone's needs. I love going to the Neiman Marcus Café. It is about the only thing I like about that department store. We have gotten to know a lovely server named Tiffany. She looks out for us and takes great care of my mom. Today, in honor of National Cookie Day (which they are celebrating all month), she gave us some treats!

Tiffany gave us two big cookies. Wait until my dad sees these..... he will LOVE IT! It is unexpected gifts of kindness, that bring a smile to my day. I truly believe that the servers working with us understand what I am balancing and I can't tell you what a difference these women make to my life. In many ways, our servers maybe the only human beings outside of the house that I interact with, and as a result have become part of our weekly social and care network. In any case, the quickest way to my heart is with sugar! So these cookies definitely made an impression on me. 


No comments: