Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 27, 2024

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2007. Mattie was in kindergarten that year. During his school's spring break, we went on a trip to Key West, Florida. We met up with Peter's parents and spent a week together. It was our first time visiting Key West. We flew into the Ft. Lauderdale airport and then drove, what felt like at least three hours, to get to the Keys. On our three hour drive, we stopped at this shop! Mattie was intrigued by all the shells and this bench in the shape of a hand. 


Quote of the day: Our animal friends teach us more than we could have expected …And love us more than we could have hoped …… That’s why we miss them more than we could have imagined. ~ Unknown


We used to board Sunny at a place in Alexandria, VA when we went away. That particular week my Sunny was featured on their screen in the lobby! He was the dog of the week. Actually in my opinion he was the dog of the century! A class act! Notice his most loveable quality mentioned.... his calm and gentle demeanor! 100% correct! When Sunny opened his mouth, he always looked like he was smiling!



Today, Mattie Miracle announced it's 15th anniversary Walk. It is hard to believe that we have been in existence this long! In some ways it seems like Mattie just died and in other ways, it feels like I was a mom eons ago. It is a conflicting feeling I continue to live with and face with each passing day and year. In fifteen years, we have accomplished so much, such as raising over $1.7million for the cause! We have funded six different child life positions, run four Snack & Item Carts, awarded over $25,000 in wishes to children with cancer, paid $10,000 in therapy grants, and supported over $165,000 in research grants. All achievements I am greatly proud of and that were guided by our experiences with Mattie. Mattie lives on through Mattie Miracle and as I always say, Mattie Miracle is my second baby. 

When you lose a child to cancer, and then create a Foundation, it is a passion that is indescribable. I have held many other positions in non-profits before. Sure I felt these roles were important, but they were nothing like the fierce loyalty, commitment, and protective nature I feel for Mattie Miracle. It is hard to describe this unless you sit in my shoes. I have devoted 15 years of my life to my second baby, that was created in memory of my first and only baby. In many ways, Mattie Miracle is a tribute of a mother's love and devotion, and though I could have done a lot with my life, I will never regret creating a living legacy for Mattie that has helped thousands of children and their families. 

Click on the image below to check out our Walk website. Help us make our 15th Walk the best one ever!!!










No comments: