Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 28, 2024

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2007. That day, it snowed! Mattie wanted to go outside and play with the snow. So out we went. Mattie collected snow in his pails and built snow castles. Then we went into the commons area of our townhouse, to his rock collections, and picked up a few to decorate his castles. This was a signature Mattie move. He always decorated his castles with things found in nature. Same thing happened at the beach. Mattie would build and then we would walk the beach in search of shells, seaweed, sticks, and other debris. These items would then adorned his creations! 



Quote of the day: Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson


I absolutely LOVE this face! Those little spots on Sunny's nose, I referred to them as freckles. I had no idea that the big tan spot on the top of his head was called as Queen's Spot or Queen's Kiss.

Implying that this is the spot on Queen Elizabeth's Corgi dogs that she would kiss. I frankly never heard of this until I meet a Corgi owner walking her dogs in Washington, DC. She and I would see each other often and one day, we finally got to talking. She remarked on Sunny's Queen Spot to me, and I literally said..... his what? She then explained to me that this cute spot on top of his head actually had a name! 

Any case, the look Sunny was giving me in this photo was the look that it was TIME TO GO OUT! Basically he was telling me I had to get it together, find the leash, because he was ready!


Last night, after a long day, I decided to work on an application for a funding source for the Foundation. The application had a quick turn around time, so I knew I had to address it. I am very grateful for this opportunity which was sent to me by a dear friend. However, some of the items being asked of me were a little beyond my comfort zone. Such as reporting revenue and expenses for example. The Foundation has a CPA, who provides us with an annual financial audit and files our IRS 990, but the simple things like a budget, I do not easily have access to. How I generate a budget, is not the same way someone with a business degree would do it. I spent a good portion of the evening Googling information on-line and looking for templates. I have the data, what I did not know exactly is how to format and present it. But I spent hours working on this. The application also required an annual report. Fortunately I had been working on one for the last month, so last night, I pulled it out and was able to tweak it. There would have been no way I could have quickly generated something of that magnitude overnight. So it was fortuitous that I had one! 

What I notice about myself is I feel very uncertain, nervous, and at times overwhelmed. I have spent my entire adult life having a partner. It is very hard to go from two to one. For me it is a very unnatural way to interface with the world. Not only because I had a meaningful other half for 35 years, but because my other half was an integral part of every aspect of my life. When I had questions, when I had concerns, when I needed support, when I had ideas or feelings to share, there he was. Now I face all these things alone and not only alone, but managing the care of two people who require constant support and supervision. It is a daunting and unsettling existence.

Any case, by 1am, I submitted the application on-line. Actually my most productive hours are when my parents are sleeping. This is when the house is quiet, the TV isn't on, and no demands are placed on me. Given what I had to craft last night with this application, I needed the time to focus and concentrate. This morning when I awoke, I acknowledged internally what I accomplished last night. 

Of course, no day is ever peaceful. When I woke my dad up this morning, I could tell he was sick. He was congested, coughing, and lethargic. I quickly did a COVID test and took his temperature. He had neither a fever nor COVID. I texted his doctor and explained his symptoms and the fact that my dad was coughing up yellow junk. My dad is back on antibiotics. This is his third round of antibiotics in about three months. The doctor tells me all sorts of things are going around and my dad's memory care center is the perfect breeding ground. I ran out this morning to pick up his medication at the pharmacy and I am hoping tomorrow is a better day!

No comments: