Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 26, 2024

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Tuesday, March 26, 2024 -- Mattie died 756 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2008. It is hard to believe that four months later, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. That weekend, we took him for a walk around Roosevelt Island. That Island has so much significance to us. We walked it with Mattie, we walked it after Mattie died, and when we did, we felt a piece of our family remained alive in this space. I will never forget our adventures there, the wildlife we observed, the branches and rocks collected, and the opportunity to be one with nature. 


Quote of the day: The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog. ~ M.K. Clinton


Sunny and Me! Sunny was awarded his Good Citizenship Certificate that day and he got to pick out a prize. He selected a rubber toy bone! 

I can't tell you how much I loved Sunny. In fact, in difficult moments, I imagine Sunny's big eyes staring into mine. He was full of love, gentle, and loyal to the end. It is hard to believe he has been gone two months already. 



As I mentioned last night, I have a post it note in front of me at my desk that says..........

1) contact long term care company
2) contact pension company
3) contact funeral home
4) contact company about back flow device for house

I was on a tear today, and addressed all four things. Let me tell you what the easiest thing was.... the funeral company. My dad made pre-arrangements for their cremations in 2009. It is hysterical that in 2009, he only paid less than $2,000 per cremation. Definitely not 2024 standards. Thankfully he selected a funeral home in California that is part of a nationwide chain. The first blessing, otherwise, the money he pre-paid would be completely lost. Any case, I contacted a sister funeral home near me today. I was ready to do battle, as the insurance company prepared me that they may upsell me or change the price in the new contract! The woman on the phone was a peach. She agreed to the contract we have and also contacted the funeral home in California to transfer over the paperwork. I literally got off the phone and said..... why can't all customer service people be like this?! Granted she is dealing with people making death and dying choices, so one would hope there would be more empathy, but her noticeable kindness and compassion were deeply valued. 

Then I moved onto my dad's pension company. I learned that his New York pension will transfer to my mom (100%) if he should die before her. When he started receiving his pension years ago, he did not check off on the provision that the pension could go to another family member if he and his spouse died. Ironically that was an option, and I have no idea why he did not check off that provision. There are many things I am learning about my dad and his decision making that don't quite add up. 

The long term care claim for my mom, is a total process. I applied in January and now we are almost in April, and still struggling with them. But I am like a dog with a bone. I don't let up. Finally, someone is coming over bright and early on Thursday morning to help me determine if we have a back flow valve and if we need to install one. So I have been productive on that front. 

There have been other things that transpired today that I am less than happy with and I will leave it at that. All I can say is no one truly understands the incredible stress I am under daily. How I remain standing, fighting, and trying to move forward is beyond me. 



No comments: