Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 31, 2010

Monady, May 31, 2010

Monday, May 31, 2010

Tonight's pictures were taken last Memorial Day! We were all in the hospital while Mattie was receiving his treatment. In fact, we spent more days and holidays in the hospital from 2008 to 2009, than we did in our own home. Mattie received a wonderful Memorial Day care package last year from Tamra's family. Mattie loved all the flags, the streamers, pinwheels, and the bandana. In fact, Mattie decided to take all these decorations and turn his wheelchair into his own version of Rolling Thunder. In light of the fact that today is Memorial Day, I wanted to share these pictures with you as we remember all those who have died while fighting and protecting our Nation. 

Poem of the day: Free At Last by Brenda Penepent

I want to play and soar and dream.
Fly above the fields until I am free.
No pain, no sorrow and no fear,
Can touch me now that I am here.
Breathe in the breeze and feel the sun,
Across my face, I run and run!!!
I play and laugh among the trees.
Alive! Alive! I breathe! I breathe!
With legs so strong, I run so fast;
The world just smiles as I go past.
Sweet laughter bubbles up inside,
For freedom long denied, denied.
No tears, no pain, remembered here,
I’ve been released from all my fears,
To run and laugh until the day
When all bad things have passed away.

We hope all our readers had a happy Memorial Day. In honor of the day, I will share a bit of history with you. Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on May 5, 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on May 30, 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war). It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays), though several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19 in Texas, April 26 in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10 in South Carolina; and June 3 (Jefferson Davis' birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee.

I am not sure why a holiday like Memorial Day would prove to be so difficult for Peter and I. But it was! We associate holiday times with family, and yet the main component of our family is now gone. So while I know others are out with their children, Peter and I are in a quandry about how to spend our days. We did not venture far today, and even though it was in the 90s with intense humidity, Peter and I decided to take a walk to Georgetown. In hopes that it would change our mood. I am not sure it accomplished that, but we did come back home more exhausted and wiped out from the heat. Later on in the day, we started digging out from the Walk, and putting together donor acknowledgement letters. I realize I haven't shared Walk pictures with you for two days. Not worry, more are coming your way this week!

I would like to end tonight's posting with three messages. The first message is from my friend, Charlie, Charlie wrote, "Nature is such an important part of our lives but we often overlook it. Studies show that blood pressure and pulse go down when people step out into a garden or wooded area and the more there are nature sounds around them, such as birdsong, the stronger the positive reaction. Unfortunately, we surround ourselves in ways that keep us from being out in nature and we allow our technology and machines to invade our natural spaces. Keeping one's own garden is a good substitute for getting to be out and about in a natural setting and I am glad you are doing this for your physical, emotional and mental health. I was out digging in my own garden today and with each butterfly I thought of Mattie's spirit flying free. I absolutely agree with you that happiness is not about possessions beyond the basics needed for life, the healthiest and happiest people are those with the strongest social connections and those who consistently find a way to do for and care for others. As I remember my fallen comrades today and those, including Mattie, that I've lost to other things as well, I say the kaddish in honor of all their memories. May all of us be a force for Tikkun Olam (healing the world) this Memorial Day. I hold you gently in my thoughts."

The second message is from my friend and colleague, Denise. Denise wrote, "I just finished reading the blog this morning and loved reading about how you and Peter are enjoying nature and how it supports you in connecting with Mattie. The plants on your deck look lovely and it sounds like they bring beauty, solace and hope to both of you. In the last 2 years, both my father and Dave's mother died and we plant flowers and plants in honor of them. Dave's father died in 1996 and we planted a magnolia tree in his memory in 1999 and it blossoms each May (his birthday month). I have to admit I talk to that tree and the flowers and plants!! Keeps me connected to them. Last Sunday during the walk, Marisa and I were texting back and forth, especially concerned about the weather. At about 12:50 pm, out came the sun and I told Marisa to look up to the sky because I was sure we would see Mattie's smiling face shining down on us. The connection to nature, which is spiritual, is so very powerful in supporting us in grief and loss. Allow it to take you where it takes you. And always remember, there are many loving arms around you and when you lean into them for support, whether literally or figuratively, they are there for you. Enjoy the sunshine today, feel the warmth and gather strength from it."


The third message is from my friend and colleague, Nancy. Nancy wrote, "Yesterday's blog evoked so many thoughts, as usual. First of all, Marv and I went shopping for plants for our terrace. We love the fresh plants, yet, have a challenge, not much sun. So we bought lots of impatiens, a peace plant, and a splath bush. The Splath bush will present the greatest challenge as we're not sure we have the sunlight to sustain it. Much like life, the plants need care and nuturing. We'll try our best as you did these last few years. I, too, find nature more fascinating as I age. It is humbling to be another creation who came after the trees, the mountains, water. They are majestic and we are just humans, imperfect and vulnerable. Of course, some might say that this is true of our natural resources now that man has tampered with them. On another note, I loved the pictures of your plants. They seem to be a metaphor for your living life, although, Mattie has had to return to Heaven. Through Peter and your efforts, he will live on forever in all of our hearts. I love Peter's picture of the spider web. It is beautiful! Your visit with Ann's family sounds like it was full of warmth and good sharing. I'm glad that you were able to share so much with Margaret. It helps when we are most unsure to hear from another, especially a stranger, that our values and beliefs are resonating with the universe.. Special connections are wonderful as they are like your Monarch Butterfly, here for a moment, yet, lasts a lifetime. Once again, you have created a vivid image of a DC happening. Rolling Thunder is magnificent as I had the pleasure of witnessing it,11 years ago with 3 very close friends. We were spending Memorial Day in DC and staying with our friend's parents. She told us of the Vets and Bikers and we drove into the city to see it. It was amazing! Today is our day to focus on all that others do to protect us and attempt to keep our country safe. We are off to be with friends and wish you a blessed day."

No comments: