Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 10, 2010

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2008. We took Mattie on a Los Angeles Harbor cruise. In the backdrop was the Queen Mary. We explained the history of this impressive ship to Mattie, and since Mattie liked ships it seemed only fitting to capture this moment with Mattie and the grand lady (or the Grey Ghost).


Poem of the day: Precious Son by Joy Curnutt
God, I know you gave your precious Son
To give us life with You.
But I didn’t want my son to leave,
Cause he was precious too.
We all are precious in your eyes
And all to you return.
I know my son will not come back,
And I still have much to learn.
Our time on earth is for learning,
And when our lessons are through,
Our spirit chooses the time we leave,
And we come back to you.
My precious son is with you,
And there will be a day,
That I too will leave this earthly place,
And you will light my way.
I know your arms will be open,
And I will have a smile,
To see my God and precious son,
I will then become Your child

I went to bed not feeling well and therefore had a hard night of sleep. However, I woke up better today, and focused on a bunch of chores I had to accomplish. I had many packages on behalf of the Foundation to mail today. Because I had so many, I decided to process half at one post office, half at another, and hand deliver four packages myself. While I was at a post office in Alexandria, VA., I noticed a smiling face on line who said hello to me. The person on line was a third grade teacher at Mattie's school. Her name is Becky and I recently met her in person at Mattie's tree dedication ceremony on May 24. At the ceremony, Becky introduced herself to me and told me she is an avid blog reader. In fact, when I saw her this morning, she was well aware that Ann is out of town, and Peter is headed out of town tomorrow. When Becky told me she read our blog, I was deeply touched, but today's encounter was another memorable moment. Mind you I never met Becky before and Mattie never had her as his teacher, yet she is captured by Mattie's story and the impact his cancer has had on us and the community. I admire Becky's sensitivity, true concern, and empathy. All I can think of is if this is how Becky treats a family she doesn't know well, I can only imagine how blessed the students in her classes feel. In a way, I am saddened that Mattie never got to the third grade, because I have a feeling Mattie and I would have both appreciated Becky's enthusiasm, insights, and sensitivity.

After running chores, I eventually made my way to see Mary, Ann's mom. I asked Shayla, Mary's caregiver earlier in the day if Mary wanted some sort of tasty treat for the afternoon. Shayla and I both determined that Mary would like ice cream. When I arrived at her assisted living facility, one of the caregivers told me that Mary was lonely and was awaiting my arrival. Mary was thrilled to see the ice cream, and though she told me not to bring her anything, I could tell she enjoyed being thought of in this way. While I was chatting with Mary, my phone made a noise. It makes this noise when someone sends me a picture. So I grabbed the phone, and I could see Ann was sending me pictures of her children on the beach in San Diego. So I showed them to Mary, and this gave us a lot to talk about. We kept messaging Ann back and forth, and finally I think she decided it probably would be easier just to call us. So Mary and I talked to Ann today for about ten minutes and Mary listened carefully and took in all the details. Mary enjoys a good conversation, and this stimulation is very good for her.
I would like to share some more pictures from the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Walk with you tonight. These photos celebrate our connections with the Georgetown University Hospital!

In this picture, Katherine and Katie (both fabulous HEM/ONC nurses) were setting up a photo display of Mattie. The photos depicted what at typical day looked like for a pediatric cancer patient at the Hospital.





 







Left: Katherine and several childlife volunteers set up art work that was on display at the Walk. This art work was created by several pediatric patients at the Hospital.







Left: Mattie's buddy, Campbell, with his parents checking out the art work.


Left: Robbie (one of Mattie's favorite childlife volunteers) was helping children at the model magic childlife table at the Walk.



Left: A close up of the activity at the model magic table.













Left: Pictured from left to right are Peter, Mary (head social worker at the Pediatric Lombardi Clinic), Dr. Aziza Shad (Director of the Pediatric Lombardi Clinic), and Vicki.














Left: Robbie (a fabulous Childlife volunteer) and Megan (the director of volunteer services at the Hospital) doing laps!













Left: From left to right, Virginia (Vicki's mom), Kelly (Tricia's daughter), Nicole (Tricia's daughter), Tricia (one of Mattie's amazing HEM/ONC nurses), Vicki, Kyle (Tricia's son), and Katherine (HEM/ONC nurse educator at the Hospital).









Left: This picture features four fabulous HEM/ONC nurses! Pictured from left to right are, CR, Vicki, Tricia, Katherine, Peter, and Jenny. 













Left: Mattie's Lombardi Clinic buddy, Maya! Maya won a raffle item and was THRILLED as you can see!














Left: A trio who probably doesn't need an introduction if you are an avid blog reader. Pictured from left to right are Lesley, Brandon, and Whitney. As many of you know Brandon was Mattie's closest buddy at the Hospital, and Whitney and Lesley were Childlife interns that were simply fantastic! They understood Mattie, and their warmth and energy were radiant and always appreciated.






Left: Pictured from left to right are CR, Jim (Brandon's dad), Toni (Brandon's mom), and Jenny.
















Left: Pictured from left to right are Hannah (Jocelyn's sister), Jocelyn, and Brian (Jocelyn's husband). Jocelyn is an osteosarcoma survivor, and she was a wonderful role model for Mattie. She helped him in immeasurable ways, and we are so thrilled her family could be at the Walk.



I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend, Charlie. Charlie wrote, "I am glad you got up and did some productive things yesterday. It really can be hard and there are days in which getting up just seems to be a monumental task. I am glad you are planning to visit with Mary but that you also recognize your own limits and are reaching out to those who can support you. While the path can be navigated on one's own, it is a very difficult and often heartbreaking thing to do so having support is such a wonderful thing. All of us are here to help; just reach out and clasp a "hand" that is reaching out to you. As you walk the path over the next week, know that help is just a phone call, text or email away. I hold you gently in my thoughts."

No comments: