Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 6, 2010

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday, June 6, 2010

This picture was taken in June of 2008. A month before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Mattie was at his kindergarten class' end of the school year party. Sitting on the bench next to Mattie was Larry Jenney, one of Mattie's kindergarten teachers. The children sitting next to Mattie are Cameron and Mason, and the little boy in the background with his fingers up in the air, is Xander. Mattie had a good time at that party and he was proud of the fact that he completed kindergarten and had a good year. None of us knew at the time that this was going to be our first and last end of the school year party.

Poem of the day: Eternal Peace by Lisa Hunt

As I glanced across the land,
the nature and beauty seemed endless.
I felt so small in comparison, and I longed for you to be
beside me, sharing the moment together.
And just as I was almost lost in the vastness of the nature and
beauty, you sent me a butterfly, that landed next to me,
fluttered for a while then rested on a flower, gently flapping
its wings. So small yet so beautiful.
As I looked at the nature and the beauty surrounding me, I
thought of you and did not feel alone anymore.
I thought of your life, and of your death. I then thought of
your eternal peace, freedom and tranquility.
And then I smiled, and thanked you for sharing the moment with
me after all.


Mattie's preschool teacher and our friend, Margaret, invited us to go with her and her husband to a Washington National's baseball game today. Peter was very excited about this since this is not something we typically do together. I have many interests but baseball isn't one of them. I am quite familiar with the Red Sox, it is kind of a necessity when married to a Bostonian, but beyond the Red Sox, I draw a blank. I think watching a baseball game with me probably isn't that exciting either, since in many cases I tune out. Fortunately for me, Mattie did not fall far from the tree. When we would go with Peter to Nat's Stadium, Mattie would last about 30 minutes in the stands and then wanted to walk around the park. I know many of the stores at the Stadium, but NOT much about what actually goes on during the games.

Today was an overcast day in DC, and while at the game, we experienced drizzle to heavy rain. Somehow that did not bother me, I am not sure why, since I am not a rain person. But it could be because Margaret and I talked throughout the entire game. We talked about various things and when we are together we always seem to have a lot to talk about. So in all reality, seven innings of baseball flew by! However, unlike games I attended in the past, I saw the Stadium in a new light today. People are attending and watching the game, naturally for the game itself, but there is a whole show within the show that captures people's attention. For example, there were four people who dressed up like US presidents, and these four had a race right on the field. Apparently the joke is that Teddy Roosevelt never gets to win this race. Why I never observed this race during prior visits or knew this inside joke before is beyond me! Then there are these young and energetic folks who are the "Nat's Pack." They are jumping around to music, acting as a cheering squad and at certain points in the game, throw t-shirts to people in the stands. But it did not end there. Professional camera men were running around capturing people in the stands talking, kissing, you name it and displaying it on this huge screen for all to see! Margaret and I even had our picture taken, by a roving photographer, who then gave us this business sized card which told us where we could purchase this picture within the Stadium. Being in a baseball stadium has become a sensory overload type of experience. I was thinking about this today, especially since I found this same kind of freneticism present on the cruise ship we sailed on in February. I believe baseball and vacationing are a simple reflection of our times. We are living in the age of information and sensory overload. So much so that we don't only experience this in our work world, but it also translates into our leisure activities. I asked Peter what attending a ball game was like when we were growing up! I asked him if there was loud music, people roaming around selling things, taking pictures, neon signs flashing before your eyes, and the list goes on. The simple answer Peter gave me was.... NO! So the question becomes what has changed? Baseball, I am pretty sure is a sport that has remained consistent in terms of how it is played from when I was growing up to now. However, why were kids and adults able to sit still and just enjoy the game without other distractions back then, but now we need so much to focus our attention? For me attending the game was a wonderful outlet to get out of the house and to connect with a friend, so I realize I do not represent the average baseball park attendee.

Tonight I posted pictures of some of the amazing volunteers who helped make the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Walk possible. This Walk couldn't have happened without these amazing people. Friends who devoted time, energy, and their own financial resources in many cases to make their portion of the Walk run successfully. To all our volunteers, we are humbled by your support, care, and dedication to us and the Foundation.  Unfortunately we did not capture all our fabulous volunteers, so these pictures are not comprehensive, but I remember each and every one of you, and know..... We are indebted to you!

Left: Our registration tent volunteers! Christine (our registration coordintor), along with Tanja, Jennifer, and Katharina.

Right: Coach Dave Holm, a vital member of our logistics team!












Left: Debbie, our co-coordinator of children's activities, hard at work.

Right: Sue, our co-coordinator of children's activities, also hard at work. These ladies put great thought and effort into all the activities, from butterfly crafts to the 7 summit games!















Left: Ellen, our volunteer coordinator. Ellen coordinated over 70 volunteers, and made sure that there were ample volunteers assigned to each event at the Walk.

Right: Liza, our co-coordinator of the logistics team, overseeing set up and making sure things were going according to plan.





 













Left: Larry, one of Mattie's kindergarten teachers and the coordinator of the rock climbing wall. Larry assured the safety of all our rock climbing participants.


Left: Peter running around and hard at work before the Walk began!

Right: Tamra, our co-coordinator of the logistics team, along with Johnny, another vital member of our logistics team!








Left: In the center of this picture is Mary. Mary was Mattie's technology teacher. Mary was an important part of our logistics planning team, and also designed the memorial video of Mattie at the walk (which was featured in the Foundation Tent). Mary also spent time at the Caring Creations Vendor table, and sold many beautiful pieces of stained glass that her friend, Bobbie Burnett designed.

Right: A picture of some of our volunteers, listening to Ann as she was giving last minute volunteer instructions. From left to right is Sue (co-coordinator of children's activities), Marisa (coordinator of the bake sale), Leslie and her husband (volunteers at the concession stand), Carolyn (our raffle coordinator), and Christine (our registration coordinator).




Left: When Ann (our Walk Chair) showed me this picture, I immediately titled it in my head.... "Here comes trouble." One of us alone can be a handful of energy, but together we are quite a force. Dr. Bob snapped this picture of Ann and I as we were walking at the event. You should know that we never stopped walking while he was trying to take the photo and at one point we almost walked right over Bob. In a way the picture is quite symbolic of our friendship. By this point in the day, I was physically and emotionally exhausted, and literally I was leaning against Ann as I was walking around the track. I also notice in the picture that I am carrying an ice tea bottle. This wasn't mine! Tricia (one of Mattie's amazing nurses) was worried about me, and knows that I never drink much. So she gave me her iced tea and she expected me to drink it. I think that is worth commenting on, because even to this day, Tricia looks out for me.

I would like to end tonight's posting with a message from my friend, Charlie. Charlie wrote, "Yesterday was definitely a day of art and creativity. Art allows us to express our deepest feelings in ways that go beyond simple words so I am glad you had this opportunity to try out something new and creative. I have to say I admire your efforts as I am hopeless with paint or any sort of drawing materials but I do so appreciate anyone who can make things look as they want them to. I have to admit that I checked your painting for ants/roaches or any other small creatures that might be lurking among the brush strokes. While I don't see any visible I know they have a place in your heart as symbols of a bug loving little boy. As I practice today I will send you the energy to use to further your creativity in any way you can. I hold you gently in my thoughts."

No comments: