Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 30, 2010

Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday, August 30, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009, at Mattie's 7th birthday party held at his friend Campbell's house. Mattie had a bug and reptile party! Right up his alley. Ann and Christine arranged for a company called Reptiles Alive to come to Christine's house. The company brought all sorts of creepy crawling things, that the kids got to see and even touch. Mattie absolutely LOVED it! It was a very memorable party! This was Mattie's second party that year. The first party he had on his actual birthday in the PICU. However most of his friends weren't able to attend that one. As you can see in this picture, Mattie was having an up close and personal encounter with a boa constrictor. I was about five feet away from this snake, but Mattie was clearly intrigued. I have many other wonderful pictures from that day that I just found, and will be sharing them with you this week.

Poem of the day: Cancer by Charlie Brown



Death, you hold no fears for me
But CANCER causes me to shake
I know what damage you can do
And all the things that you give and take
You give depression, pain, disability and fear
You take serenity and strength away
In the fight against you, well
I've seen even the strongest bonds fray
No wonder I have nightmares
And I cannot sleep at night
For even in my dreams
I feel I have to fight
When will I be over this?
When will my life be calm?
I have no idea really, for
There is no magic balm.
I only hope that someday,
All that is left behind,
Are the happy memories of our life,
And peace in my heart and mind.


I had the opportunity to spend a good portion of the afternoon with my friend, Margaret. As many of you know, Margaret was Mattie's first preschool teacher. It is within Margaret's room, that Mattie received the name, "Mattie Moon." Margaret took me out today for my birthday and introduced me to a restaurant that I must have passed hundreds of times taking Mattie to school. However, I never had an opportunity to go in. We changed that today, and the atmosphere was calm, relaxing, and the food was lovely. Margaret and I had a chance to catch up on our summer experiences and on life. But with Margaret and I, time has a way of flying by, and the hours pass along like minutes. Margaret gave me a Pandora bracelet today for my birthday, a bracelet that she actually introduced me to months ago, and have admired hers. It is special to have one of my own now. In addition to the bracelet, she gave me my first charm (as you can see in the picture!). The charm is of the sun! This is quite a whimsical bead, because the rays of the sun are made out of yellow enamel, and in the center of the sun is a smiley face. Not unlike the suns Mattie would draw. All of Mattie's suns had faces! So this bead is very reminiscent of Mattie (and the sun also happens to be the logo of the Resurrection Children's Center, a preschool that meant a lot to Mattie). As I told Margaret today, this bracelet means a great deal to me, because I would like to collect charms for this bracelet that remind me and symbolize Mattie. So in essence this is a memory bracelet, and a bracelet that will always illustrate my greatest creation, Mattie.

Later in the afternoon, I went to visit Mary, Ann's mom. When I got there, Mary's caregiver, Shayla, was there. All three of us had a lively conversation for about an hour. I then helped Mary with dinner and after dinner, we sat outside in the heat. However, for Mary who is in air conditioning all day long, feeling the heat is welcomed for a while. While outside, I helped Mary call Helen (Ann's cousin who recently visited). I am so happy Helen was home and could speak to Mary, since I could tell Mary felt lonely and wanted to connect with someone she felt close to. Before I left Mary tonight, she asked me again what day Ann was going to be home. I naturally told her and helped her count the days. At which point Mary asked me whether I thought she was acting like a baby. A baby because she missed her daughter so much. I told her that I most definitely did not think she was a baby, but instead that all her feelings were very natural and normal. When we love someone, we miss them when they aren't with us. Mary smiled and said that she would expect that I would understand because I am such a sensible person!

When I got home this evening, Peter and I sat outside for dinner. It was hot, and unfortunately buggy, but the deck looks so much better now. I shared with Peter my new purchase today. Margaret introduced me to a lovely store called, "One Good Tern" in Alexandria. While there, I purchased a hummingbird feeder. While Peter was painting this weekend, he was visited by a hummingbird. So I was inspired to try to feed and attract hummingbirds over the next month. Wish me luck!

Tonight, Peter and I received some wonderful news from Dr. Aziza Shad (the director of the Pediatric Lombardi Clinic at Georgetown University Hospital). As many of you know, Aziza is the doctor who helped Mattie die with some sort of dignity. Dr. Aziza Shad and her team at GUH have been awarded a $100,000 grant by Hyundai Hope on Wheels for the creation of The Pediatric Palliative Care Program. I told Aziza, that I wish we lived in a world where there was NO need for a pediatric palliative care program, but having lost Mattie, I know better. Such a program is vital for patients and their families, and I can't think of a better doctor to lead this effort. In any case, I thought I was going to have a slow week, but now Peter and I have been invited to three events this week. On Wednesday afternoon, we have been invited to the Hospital to be a part of the Grant Award's ceremony, and then on Wednesday evening, we have been invited to a reception and dinner at the Willard Hotel. On Thursday, I will be attending a morning event at the Press Club in DC to support Aziza and this fine accomplishment.

I would like to end tonight's posting with two messages. The first message is from my friend, Charlie. Charlie wrote, "To be haunted even in your sleep is a very difficult thing to have to deal with. I can only imagine how awful those dreams are. I have had those kinds of nightmares (fortunately not frequently) and sometimes they seem to spill over and keep you company in your waking hours for quite a while. I hope that as time goes on this lessens and your sleep once again becomes restful and calm. What you said about visiting with Mary is true, she may not remember tomorrow that you were there but you will. The mitzvah is no less because the recipient may not remember it, in fact it is greater because you don't necessarily have the thanks of the person you are doing the good deed for. we forget sometimes that others also have difficulties in their lives as we are involved in our own issues and it is again a tribute to you that people are willing to share what is really important to them with you. Thank you for sharing the story of Patches and the deck; I have that mental image now. I am glad that the situation was reparable as it certainly is amusing to those of us who read what you wrote. As I practice today I send you the peace and serenity it generates for me to help you with your sleep. I hold you gently in my thoughts."

The second message is from my friend and colleague, Nancy. Nancy wrote, "I was glad to read that you had some good pockets of sleep this weekend. I can only imagine how scared you were about your nightmare. In some way, I agree with you that this is how you are working out your concerns about being alive since Mattie died. The weekend produced some big steps for Peter and especially you, too. I know it took a lot of courage to clean those windows and paint the deck. By doing so, you did make room for light and an open passageway for your heart. Leaving the gel hearts on the window are beautiful. It is important to change your surroundings slowly so that you can gently regain your strength in the present. I believe that people rush too much to deal with deep grief. It doesn't let the body naturally come to a decision that it is ok to live when someone they love has died. This, I think, is especially true for a parent with the death of a child. Since we love them so deeply, as you have stated, it is difficult to want to go on without Mattie. Yet, go on you must, as Mattie wants you to take care of your business as he had to take care of his. It seems like Mattie came to visit again yesterday as you cleaned the window creations, you found the clay works. One door closes, another one opens! Did you add new pictures to the rotating gallery? I spotted some that I hadn't remembered at any other time. I was taken back to occasional weekend trips to a park near our house where I rode the ponies. Thank you for that wonderful reminder of my Dad, too. Horses remind us of the strength of an animal to carry us on their backs and the usual gentleness of their walk. It symbolizes the connection between man and his/her environment. We know that many clinicians are using animal therapy with seriously ill patients and the elderly to give them this reconnection with care and love. As always, you give so much to others just by sharing all these wonderful memories and your vulnerability in dealing with your challenges. I hope that you continue to have good pockets of sleep to aide your body's health. With love always and in all ways."

No comments: