Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 12, 2011

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004 on Roosevelt Island. Peter was trying to teach Mattie how to skip stones in the water. Mattie loved watching how Peter could do this, and each time they went by the Potomac River, there was always a dialogue between them about the right technique. Roosevelt Island holds a lot of memories for us, which is most likely why Peter visits the Island every weekend, regardless of the weather.

Quote of the day: Love is a fabric which never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the water of adversity and grief. ~ Unknown


Peter and I spent the day working on Foundation Walk materials and designing the website to host registrations. The website hasn't gone live yet, but as soon as it does, we will be communicating this through various electronic means. I imagine each year that we host a walk, the process will become easier. But for now, as we are still such a young organization, everything must be built from the ground up. Which takes time, focus, and patience. I am fortunate that Peter has technology skills, otherwise, I am sure I would be extremely frustrated with how to upload and design things on the Internet.

In the midst of an entire day by the computer, I received a lovely email from Jenni Chase. Jenni is the radio personality at WMZQ who I wrote to this week. Jenni's response was very kind, compassionate, and supportive. Not unlike what I imagined it to be like, based on my experience listening to her each and every morning on the radio. As I told her, her email made my day today, and I appreciate her help securing Kenny Chesney tickets for our Walk raffle and for helping to promote our walk on her radio show.

Marketing, fundraising, and other business skills are not things that I am trained to do, however, with the right motivation, I have learned almost anything is possible. Then when I interact with such nice and receptive individuals like Jenni, it makes my fears subside. There are people out there who don't know Peter or I, and yet want to hear our story, and want to help the Foundation and more importantly children with cancer.

Peter and I are spending tomorrow focused as well, since it is important that we get the registration website designed before he leaves on a business trip for Africa in a week. Peter will be in Africa for two weeks and this separation is challenging. Challenging because we rely on each other in different ways to get through a given day. With Mattie gone, and Peter on travel, our home takes on a completely new dynamic. I am not the only one who misses Peter when he goes, our cat, Patches, is literally besides herself. She has a very tight bond with Peter, and when he is gone, she is agitated and wakes me up at 5am each and every morning. I have tried all sorts of remedies for this, but nothing works. Unlike a dog, cats are really not trainable.

Later this evening, Peter and I received the link below from Georgetown University Hospital. I was very pleased to see that our Foundation's event was being acknowledged since you will learn shortly with the launch of the Walk website, that all walk proceeds this year will be going to the Childlife Department at the Hospital. http://www.georgetownuniversityhospital.org/body.cfm?id=557817

I would like to end tonight's posting with a video I received by email yesterday. I was about to delete the message last night, but the title of it intrigued me.... Life is like coffee. Not being a coffee drinker, I wondered what on earth was the message here. This is a motivational video in a way, and one that is trying to reflect on the true meaning of life. Hope you get something out of watching it, or at least are able to reflect on the coffee in your own lives, and NOT the cups. http://flickspire.com/m/Lgroup/LifeIsLikeCoffee

No comments: