Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 10, 2011

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003 at Peter's parents house in Boston. Peter's mom gave Mattie a hokey pokey Elmo toy for Thanksgiving and I sat behind Elmo (the red Sesame Street character on the floor) and snapped pictures of Mattie. This is one of my favorite pictures that I am sharing with you. I love Mattie's sheer fascination with this animated doll. What you need to understand was this toy was battery powered and literally pretended to sing the hokey pokey and dance, and Elmo even turned around. Mattie never saw a toy do this, it was a first. Mattie was in LOVE with the character of Elmo, so much so that when Elmo was on TV, no matter where he was in the house, he would stop in his tracks and be glued to the TV. A rarity, since Mattie for the most part wasn't a TV person. What this picture doesn't show was after watching Elmo, Mattie  got up on his feet and danced the hokey pokey with the toy. It was a priceless sight!

Quote of the day: Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds. ~ Siddhartha Buddha


Somehow being surrounded by 238 pounds of candy (YES PETER WEIGHED IT!!!!) makes tonight's quote much more meaningful to me. Mattie's presence and spirit are felt in the kindness and generosity of his communities! The outpouring of Halloween candy has far exceeded my expectations. Mattie would have been thoroughly impressed with what we all accomplished together in just one week's time, with not much advanced notice.

This morning I spent several hours counting and bagging a good portion of the candy. I am happy to report that the grand total is 8423 candy items which I am bringing to the hospital on Friday. Keep in mind that in July, we donated around 650 pieces of candy, and at the time I thought that was a lot. This delivery certainly surpasses that and when I tell you that our home smells like a candy factory I am not kidding. In fact, too much of something can some times be overwhelming to the senses. I never thought I would say this, but right now, chocolate is NOT appealing. I took a picture of the grand total for my readers and even copied my table of candy quantities below so you can see the incredible success of this project. For all of you who contributed, THANK YOU!!!




Type of Candy
Quantity
Peppermint Patties
64 pieces
Laffy Taffy
127 pieces
Hershey Kisses
264
Butterfingers
252 bars
Nerds
121 mini boxes
Milk Duds
141 mini boxes
Tootsie Rolls
530 pieces
Mini Oreos
15 bags
Mini Pretzels
12 bags
Whoppers (chocolate balls)
459 packs
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
316 cups
Reese's Peanut Butter mini cups
155 pieces
Lollipops
298
Plain M&Ms
237 packets
Peanut M&Ms
74 packets
Twix
245 bars
Kit Kats
536 bars
Candy Bugs
20 pieces
Nestle Crunch
161 bars
Almond Joy
98 bars
Mixed NON-Chocolate candy
1775 pieces
Mixed chocolate bars
2483 pieces
Gummi Bears
40 mini bags
TOTAL:
8423 items

Peter and I received an email yesterday from another local foundation who wants to chat with us about our hospital snack cart. They would like to implement this idea at Children's Hospital in DC, but are looking for some advice and input about how to start such a project. This project can have its challenges especially when you take into account that we live in an era where we need to be conscious of food allergies and other liabilities. So it appears that our newsletter has reached various individuals in our community and we are honored to be consulted on such an important psychosocial service. 

I went to Ann's house to pick up more candy today and while there, I learned that my 11 year old friend, Katharina, was at school and wasn't feeling well. So before dealing with more bags on candy, I went to pick Katharina up at school and drove her home. I haven't had the opportunity to pick a child up at school for quite some time, so this activity seemed so different or foreign to me, and yet not foreign at all. Katharina was happy to see me and we chatted all the way to her home. Katharina, I believe, considers me a friend and reaches out to communicate with me without being prompted. I consider that a great honor, and on some level I feel Katharina, an only child herself, understands the magnitude of Mattie's loss for me.

Later in the day, I went to visit Mary, Ann's mom. I hadn't seen Mary for over a week, and as Mary's disease progresses it does become harder and harder to have a conversation with her. Despite Mary being unable to talk at times, I know she is listening and understands everything I am saying. As I told her tonight, I know her well enough to read her eyes. She loved that comment, and batted her eyelashes at me. When I first arrived in Mary's room, she was resting. So I decided to put away the items from Bath and Body Works that I bought her. After which I then sat on her bed and said hello to her. She opened her eyes and was clearly groggy as if waking from a deep slumber. The next thing I saw was a huge smile. She then opened her mouth and told me she missed me and reached for my hand. It was a lovely interchange and even when she is unable to communicate, I land up sitting with her and telling her stories or my perspective of the day. Communicating with Mary reminds me that so much of the importance of connecting with another human being goes beyond words. Sometimes words aren't needed.

No comments: