Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 2, 2013

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was home between treatments. In front of him was one of his Thomas train sets. I remember this set SO well. Mattie and I were shopping at Target one day (in our pre-cancer days) and he spied this set and wanted it. We brought it home and Mattie played with it non-stop and for years! When I found this picture tonight, it got me to pause because I did not remember playing with this set after Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Obviously this photo confirmed that we did! All I can remember is when Mattie was a preschooler, I would sit for hours playing with these trains and wonder when I was going to get a break from PLAYING? The complexities of raising an only child is you are your child's built in play mate and I certainly did a ton of playing. I suppose looking back I could feel guilty for having the need for a break from playing, but in reality, despite feeling tired at times, I pushed through it and was always there for Mattie.


Quote of the day: Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them. ~ Jodi Picoult


I happen to love Picoult's books and when I came across her quote tonight, it resonated with me. I wouldn't characterize myself as a loner per se. I have always been an extrovert and do get my energy from those around me and through those interactions. Yet, I would have to say that Mattie's cancer and death makes it harder for me to "blend into the world." Or let's put it this way, I can blend in but it comes at a price.

Peter had to work all day today at his office, so I went with friends to a musical(The Wiz) which was being performed at Mattie's upper school campus. I love going to plays, especially musicals, so this was a good diversion for a day in which I could have spent by myself. I also appreciate seeing younger people taking an interest in the arts. I think every school should make performing in a play (in some capacity--on stage or behind the scenes) a mandatory experience. I can't think of a better way to spend one's free time than to see live theatre. Yet this is a dying art, when our younger generation seems to gravitate to electronic devices and non-expressive forms of entertainment. Which is why seeing all of these children and their families out today was wonderful to me. Yet going back to the nature of this quote, these observations of children and families are bittersweet for me. Maybe even more bittersweet when this occurs on Mattie's campus. A campus Peter and I should be a part of, but due to circumstances are not connected to anymore. Sometimes when I see parents with their children it makes me sad, it makes me see that my weekends do not look like theirs, and when the play ends they are rushing off to the next thing on their agenda. Yet my agenda is SO different, and this feeling different does breed ISOLATION and the desire to be a loner.

I enjoyed the dancing, staging, costumes, and scenery of the play. But I admit I am not a Wiz fan. I don't care for the music and to me the score isn't memorable. Yet the tale of The Wizard of Oz captures the hearts and minds of the young and old. I think when I was a child, I was captivated by the tornado and the notion that you could be transported to a magical land. As I got older, the magic of watching The Wizard of Oz was replaced or grounded more in reality. It is a story in which each character is incomplete and searching for what is missing in one's life. In search of becoming WHOLE again! Whether it be the scarecrow looking for a brain, the tinman a heart, or the lion, courage. They are on a quest together. It is through the journey, with the emphasis on journey and being TOGETHER, that they find the answers to what is missing was inside them all along.

It is my hope, or at least I wonder if it is possible, that one day I will see parents with children and feel okay by this sighting. That I can see a play at a high school and not feel disgusted that I will never see Mattie performing, and the biggest hope is that one day I will lose the feeling I have that no one around me understands this pervasive sense of isolation and loneliness that occurs when you lose a child to cancer. Somehow I don't see this happening unless I too am transported to the land of Oz!
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing and validating this feeling.