Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 28, 2013

Wednesday, February 28, 2013

Wednesday, February 28, 2013


Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. There was a story behind this photo.... NATURALLY!!! In many ways Mattie had old fashioned interests. He preferred imaginative play, playing with cars, trains, planes, Legos, and creating all sorts of things! Mattie had little to NO interest in video games or playing glued to an electronic device. But one particular day, Mattie was in the childlife playroom with Katie (his wonderful nurse) and Peter. Katie, Peter, and Mattie had a Wii competition and it involved doing yoga positions. The irony was despite Mattie having three prosthetic limbs he could balance himself better than others. Katie was amazed that she snapped this photo of him to show me!


Quote of the day: To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else. ~ Emily Dickinson


It is that time of year in which I need to start to begin filing permits with the City of Alexandria in order for us to host our Foundation Walk. There are two rounds of permits and I completed the first round before I left for the conference in Huntington Beach. When I returned I received an email from the director of special events. She wanted to set up a meeting for me to go before a board of Alexandria Police, Fire, and Paramedics. I knew that wasn't a good sign and that meant that the City of Alexandria had issues with my desire to close down neighborhood streets in order to have an awareness walk. Typically our Walks have been self-contained on Mattie's school campus. They have been that way since 2009. But many of our supporters have expressed an interest in a 5k or fun run/walk. So eventually this will be a concept we will migrate to, but it won't be this year. Shutting down streets is VERY costly because it requires that police, fire, and paramedics are on hand, and in essence we would be paying their salaries during such an event. There is no way I can see spending thousands of dollars on this, money that should be going to helping children and their families with cancer.

So today I had an hour long discussion with the director of permits for special events. Now that I agreed not to shut down streets, I have made it through the first hurdle of permits. Apparently only LARGER organizations have the ability to shut down streets because of the cost! So now onto the second round of permits. But I admit this leaves me having to revamp the plans I had in mind for this year. I can't say I am happy about this at all, and when tired my creativity isn't as forthcoming.

As for Patches, she is refusing her cat food now. She is more interested in people food. Which is absolutely novel for her. However, she won't eat something more than once, nor will she eat it from a plate. She prefers for me to feed her a piece at a time from my hand. Which I don't mind as long as she keeps on eating and drinking. I find looking at her right eye painful and I continue to assess her for pain. She isn't acting like she is in pain, other than her lack of appetite. Watching Patches drift away is very hard for us. She is my day time companion and has been through so much with us. I will never forget when Mattie was a baby. He did a lot of crying at all hours of the day and night. On the rare occasion when Mattie was sleeping, Patches would emerge from hiding and look at me, not for attention interestingly enough, she seemed to know I was wiped out, but I almost felt she came out to simply be there and check on me. She is my ultimate Nurse Patches!

No comments: