Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 26, 2015

Monday, October 26, 2015

Monday, October 26, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2002. This was Mattie's first Halloween, he was six months old. He did not understand what on earth I was doing, other than I sat him in a chair next to a large orange ball. A ball that he was fascinated with, but that was as big as he was. Mattie did not wear a costume or go trick or treating that year. We felt he was too young, which was the right decision for him. 


Quote of the day: There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. ~ Dante



This morning after I woke up and went downstairs, I was hit by an intoxicating fragrance. I knew what it was immediately.... it was the aroma from our Butterfly Ginger Lily plant. Overnight one of its buds started blooming!

We got this plant two years ago in North Carolina, and what intrigued me about the plant was its name. I am drawn to anything butterfly oriented. However, when we got the plant it was tiny, around knee level! Now look at it, it is 6 feet tall. 










This is a bud of a Butterfly Ginger Lily. In my perspective this is the flower
that keeps on giving. It blooms in segments. As some of the flowers die, the other blossoms open up and we can have this amazing fragrance for at least a week. 








I remember when Peter and I purchased this plant, we were encouraged to buy it from a grounds caretaker at Elizabethan Gardens. He was a young fellow who was devastated over his grandmother's death. He was telling me how therapeutic gardening and being outside was for him after his loss. In any case, we had a meaningful chat with one another and I related to his feelings. 

I posted these flower photos on Facebook today, and my friend Lana sent me this picture of a Hawaiian Lei made from Butterfly Ginger Lily blossoms. Look at the intricate nature of this lei! 




This evening, as I was working by my computer, I looked up from my keyboard and out the window and here is what I saw.... a big Mattie Moon!

















At the same time tonight, I received an email from Laura, an international airline pilot. She snapped a photo of Mattie Moon over India at 32,000 feet! What a special surprise and photo!

We have never met Laura in person, but she was a faithful reader of Mattie's blog during his battle. Though overseas she virtually supported us with lovely and caring messages. When Mattie was battling cancer, Laura was training to be a pilot. Now after all of these years, Laura still thinks of Mattie whenever she sees the moon. 


No comments: