Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 23, 2016

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 --- Mattie died 336 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2006. This was another classic Mattie photo.... building with tinker toys. That day Mattie and Peter built this wonderful tower and they were very proud to show it off!




Quote of the day: Ancient Egyptians believed that upon death they would be asked two questions and their answers would determine whether they could continue their journey in the afterlife. The first question was,’Did you bring joy?’ The second was, ‘Did you find joy?’~ Leo Buscaglia


I feel like I had a rough day. Awaiting MRI results for the spine and brain. The spine results came in and I don't understand them and then my doctor didn't post the brain results. Well that made me even more anxious. Needless to say, the results are posted and I don't understand either of them or the next steps. So that is how I went into teaching a class at the George Washington University. By the time I got to the University my head was spinning and each limb was shaking. How I pulled it together to teach for two hours is beyond me. 

The lecture I gave was about the impact on childhood cancer on a family and how bereavement affects the lives of parents forever. Before talking to a class I always ask them to raise their hands if they have a personal experience with cancer, knew a child with cancer, and are parents themselves. This class actually had one childhood cancer survivor in it, but no parents. It is hard to talk to people who are not parents because they do not get the true love and bond between a parent and child. They may get it theoretically or may reflect on their connection with their own parents, but it just isn't the same. 

I remember when I was in graduate school, pre-Mattie, and a guest lecturer came in to discuss grief and loss and focused upon the death of a child. She mentioned that this is the hardest form of grief to manage and cope with. At the time I processed that but did not take this information to heart, NOT like I do now. So I told the class tonight that one day when they have their own children or are involved in caring for a child, they will look back at tonight's lecture and have a deeper understanding for what I was talking about. 

Typically I come back from these lectures energized, but that wasn't what happened tonight. When I got home I was worn out and Peter wasn't back from work yet. So overall, I felt in a quandary and not sure what to do. I literally was going to walk back out of our home. I am not sure why, but between how I am feeling and two hours of talking and reliving Mattie's cancer and the impact it has on families did me in. 

No comments: