Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 26, 2016

Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday, February 26, 2016


Tonight's picture was taken in February 2004. That weekend we took Mattie to the Natural History Museum in DC. We went to see the dinosaurs and they had a very interactive exhibit with screens on the floor for children to watch and step on. As you can see Peter was pointing things out to Mattie, who seemed puzzled by what he was seeing and yet intrigued at the same time. I love the lady in red behind Peter checking out the interaction before her eyes!






Quote of the day: It's really going to happen. I really won't ever go back to school. Not ever. I'll never be famous or leave anything worthwhile behind. I'll never go to college or have a job. I won't see my brother grow up. I won't travel, never earn money, never drive, never fall in love or leave home or get my own house. It's really, really true. A thought stabs up, growing from my toes and ripping through me, until it stifles everything else and becomes the only thing I'm thinking. It fills me up like a silent scream. ~ Jenny Downham


I am slowly returning to do the things I typically do in a given day, but I notice by the end of the day, I am very tired. Peter and I were on a conference call this morning with our research team, discussing next steps. It is funny how our minds think differently from the rest of the team. The researchers are (rightfully so) focused on rigor and next steps in the studies that need to be performed, where as Peter and I are about the practical. How do we begin to hit the ground to implement the standards. Naturally we all have this end goal, but because of our lens, we have different strategies about addressing this large task. For most of the call, I was quiet, but at one point, I opened my mouth. I did not think I said anything earth shattering, but literally after I spoke there was dead silence on the phone. To which Peter then spoke up and asked whether he and I were the only ones on the phone call. Needless to say, this has made me chuckle ALL day long. I am not sure why, but it has. Given that these are the best and brightest in the field on the phone with us, I am not expecting to be catching anyone by surprise. I am not sure if surprise is the right word, or perhaps from my lens as a parent who lost a child to cancer, I shed a different reality. 

Below are some of the new on-line articles that have been released about the Psychosocial Standards. Keeping all this organized is a feat, but very necessary!

ASCO Post:
http://www.ascopost.com/issues/january-25-2016/american-psychosocial-oncology-society-endorses-psychosocial-standards-of-care-for-children-with-cancer-and-their-families/


NIH Record:
https://nihrecord.nih.gov/newsletters/2016/01_29_2016/story4.htm


Society of Pediatric Psychology (p.11):
file:///C:/Users/HP%20Desktop/Downloads/SPP_Spring_2016_final.pdf



No comments: