Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 22, 2016

Monday, February 22, 2016

Monday, February 22, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2006. Mattie was pictured with a flower pot that his preschool class made, with their thumb prints. We were proud of this pot and had it on display for years. I am not sure what I like most here.... the pansies or Mattie's beautiful smile. 

Quote of the day: Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality. Emily Dickinson


I went for my afternoon walk today and along my journey I ran into our friend Maria and another woman, Detra, who we are fond of and manages the front deck in our complex. Maria and Detra shared a Mattie memory with me today. I frankly forgot about Mattie's visits around our complex, until they reminded me. Mattie used to love going down to our complex's front desk to greet the ladies who work there. But one of Mattie's motivations was to see if any packages and boxes were delivered. Because as he knew he used to get many care packages in the mail and was always eager to see what surprises awaited him. It is ironic, I write about Mattie each day and reflect on him, and yet I do not remember everything. Which is why when people share a side of Mattie that I may have forgotten, or their personal experiences with him, it means a lot to me. 



It was more like a spring like day today rather than winter! It was glorious and this is what the Potomac River looked like with the Kennedy Center and Roosevelt Bridge in the background. 








Crew teams were out on the water and to me that is almost like the first sign of spring! The water doesn't have ice on it and people were out and walking about. Last week as I walked by the River, there wasn't a soul around. It was too frigid. 






The sun setting over the Potomac. 

No comments: