Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 9, 2018

Friday, February 9, 2018

Friday, February 9, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2005. Mattie was three years old and visiting my parents. We took Mattie to Griffith Park, one of his favorite places to visit when in Los Angeles. This park had everything from state of the art playground equipment, a train museum with trains kids could run around on, a zoo, a dentzel carousel, and pony rides. I was very cautious with Mattie, and as you can see Peter was walking besides Mattie and this horse. In retrospect, I am not sure what I was worried about as this horse was tied to a turning wheel and couldn't run away even if it wanted to. 


Quote of the day: No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.Buddha


Sunny did not know what was happening in our home this morning. I got up at 4am, in order to make my 7am flight to Los Angeles. Since I am never the first one up in our home, Sunny knew something wasn't right! Well I have a feeling he suspected that when the luggage came out last night. Animals are so sensitive to our routines. 

However, Sunny is a smart puppy! Normally if I am around, he sticks to my side like the lamb in Mary had a little lamb! But when I am not around, Sunny is clever. He knows he has to switch gears and work on Peter. Peter has much better will power than I do. When I see Sunny's big cow eyes, he is pretty good at manipulating me to get treats!
As you can see Sunny did not skip a beat. After my departure, he was thrilled to go on a walk with Peter. But look at that adorable face! I fell in love with that face over the Internet. Remember I adopted Sunny sight UNSEEN! I picked him based on his adorable face and descriptor paragraph!














Typically I don't like flying, but everything about this flight today was perfect. My seatmate kept to himself, there was NO turbulence and the flight crew was lovely and helpful. I honestly never went on a cross country flight that went by so quickly. But then again, I brought a doctoral student's dissertation with me, as I have been asked to serve on her defense in March. I figured being trapped on a plane for five hours would be a good time to start reading this document. I was correct! Her target audience is older adults, which is why her dissertation chair selected me, because believe it or not, that demographic was once my clinical specialty. However, the construct of her study doesn't resonate with me because she is focused on sexual frequency and satisfaction as predicting psychological well being in older adults. I won't get into this study here, but with my experience working with cognitively and physically challenged older adults, sex is not the first issue on their minds. Just managing basic activities of daily living are tantamount. Nonetheless, aspects of the study are intriguing and I do enjoy learning new things that can potentially help others. 


This is what Los Angeles looked like upon decent. It is hazy but still a green sight! Unlike the gray sight I left in DC. 

When I got off the plane, I met a car service to take me to my parent's house. Driving in LA is a challenge and it makes no sense for my parents to drive two hours just to get me. But this is where the adventure began!!! Not in the air but on the ground. 

When I met the driver, he greeted me as if we were long lost friends. I found this odd, but went with it, since he had my correct name and knew what my final designation was. After the greeting, he asked if I was ready to go! I said, NO, I have to pick up my luggage. That was another clue that he wasn't working with a full deck. When we got to the luggage carousel, he started talking to me about his ex-wife, her gambling addiction, how this has impacted his life, and literally this went on for over an hour. He pulled out his phone and I saw photos of his grandchildren and then throughout the car trip I learned more about the dysfunction in his life. Now why I brought this on myself, I have no idea. As I literally said nothing to him when I approached him this morning. But WOW did I get a mouthful. He is now in his 70's and because of his wife's addiction, he needs to continue to work. It was a sad life story, and as he said to me... "I can't believe how one person could destroy my life!" It only takes one bad apple though. 

While he was driving on a very crowded freeway, his phone started ringing. He answered it and then after he hung up, he started text messaging on the phone. It was at that point, I thought we were going to die. He was swerving all over the place and a LA freeway is not a good place to try this! At one point, I was texting Peter asking him if we were even on the correct freeway to get to my parent's home. This driver had me that paranoid, as I truly couldn't determine how disturbed he was. He refused to use GPS, but he also didn't know where he was going. So I pulled out my phone and gave him directions to my destination. 

Typically I would report someone like him immediately, but frankly he seems so unstable, that until I return home next week, I do not want to file a formal compliant. But one is in the making because of his inappropriate behavior, his bad mouthing the company he works for, his getting lost, and text messaging on a freeway. Needless to say, I was thrilled to get out of the car in one piece. 

No comments: