Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 19, 2018

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2003. At a year and a half old, Mattie migrated to his high chair. It wasn't his favorite place to be. Which was why he literally ate in his car seat for the first several months of his life. However, we worked on making high chair time fun. As long as we engaged Mattie's mind, then he would comply with eating. Otherwise, forget it!!! One of Mattie's favorite foods believe it or not was oatmeal. He not only liked it as a baby, but he ate it every day of life until he was diagnosed with cancer. 


Quote of the day: In union there is strength. ~ Aesop


Mattie Miracle is planning its first evening event on Thursday, November 8th. Many of our supporters have been encouraging us to host such an event for years. But to bring such a party into fruition requires time, energy, and resources. I have been hesitant to do such an event because I felt there needed to be a draw to attract potential supporters to this event. The event is not being held for our current supporters, but instead, we have a host committee assembled of current supporters who are working through their networks to invite friends to this event. 

I had a second meeting with our host committee today and I have to say I am very fortunate to have friends devoted and motivated to support our Foundation. Many things have aligned this year with a board member's family opening his home to host this event, and another board member offering us free tastings from his DC bourbon distillery. Instead of us going to the distillery, the distillery is coming to Alexandria, VA. I also think that Mattie Miracle is developing a solid reputation in the community, in that now we have reached the point that such an event makes sense. We have a true national platform and initiative and it is our hope that others will want to hear about it and support us.

With the guidance of host committee, we have now officially turned this event into a fundraiser, with an $150 donation fee per person to attend. I was hesitant to do this at first, but given the insights from the committee, I changed my mind. Especially since this will be a costly event to host, I would hate to spend our own personal money, and then not generate anything for the Foundation. So I was convinced. 

However, I am working through the details and today I sent out a request for live musicians to perform at our event. I love Gigmasters and typically have found wonderful vendors who are willing to work with us, many pro bono. However, I can't tell you the prices I am being quoted per hour by these musicians! They range from $900 to over $1,200! Mind you this is asking them to be flexible with us on their fees considering we are a public charity and are trying to raise money to support children with cancer. That apparently did not matter. All I can say is wow! 

No comments: