Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 2, 2011

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2006. As you can see, Peter and I took Mattie for a walk on Roosevelt Island. This was practically a weekend tradition, where we would walk, talk, and explore together. Which is why, the Island holds a special place in our hearts. There we feel a connection with Mattie, and as we pass certain Mattie spots on the Island, we always pause and reflect upon that moment in time.


Quote of the day: After awhile you learn the subtle difference
between holding a hand and chaining a soul.
And you learn that love doesn't mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises.
And you begin to accept your defeats with you head up and your eyes open.
With the grace of maturity, not the grief of a child.
And you learn to build all your roads on
Today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans,
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After awhile you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong
And that you really do have worth.
And you learn and learn and learn ....
With every goodbye you learn. ~ Veronica A. Shoffstall

This evening as I write the blog, I can't help but reflect on my life nine years ago tonight. Because nine years ago at this time, I went into labor (keep in mind that today is April 2, and Mattie's birthday was on April 4!). Mattie loved hearing about his birth and on Monday I will share that story with you. No woman ever dreams that the child she delivers will die before her. It is simply unnatural, gruel, and leaves one scarred for life.

I woke up this morning to this picture in my email inbox. Peter took a picture of his newest friend, RP. I gave her the name RP, short for Rwanda Puss. RP, from my perspective, is simply beautiful and has a unique beige tabby color. As some of my readers may recall, RP has befriended Peter, because Peter shares his meals with her. If Patches could see this, she would be VERY jealous.

I spent most of the day today with my friend, Carolyn, and her two children, Ellie and Gavin. Ellie was in Mattie's first preschool class, which is how I got to know Carolyn and her family. Carolyn is also our Foundation Walk Raffle chair. So today we were on a mission to complete our ten raffle baskets. I am happy to report that we were highly successful. It is a seasonal tradition for Carolyn, myself, and her children to pile in the car together and head to the Christmas Tree Shop. For those of you NOT from New England, you are most likely saying to yourself.... She has lost it, why is she going Christmas Tree shopping? Well The Christmas Tree Shop is NOT about Christmas. Instead it is an amazing variety store, that sells all sorts of things at discounted prices. Each time we go there, we spend at least three hours walking the store (which is HUGE!). I recall being there in October because I bought miniature scarecrows. The items I purchased, always help to jog my mind.
 
I had a list of items I wanted to look for and I have to say having a nine year old shopping with me was VERY helpful. Ellie knew what I was looking for, and most of the time she found things I needed that I myself couldn't find. After our shopping adventure, we all went out to lunch together. Ellie and Gavin are wonderful to eat with, because they enjoy their food, can sit still, play, and hold a conversation with us. These were skills that Mattie was working on, because eating at a table wasn't something he enjoyed at all. Nonetheless, as was true in preschool, remains true today...... Ellie and I always got along, and we always had an easy time chatting with each other.
 
When we got back to Carolyn's house, the children checked in with me to see if I would stay longer. It was very cute. Not unlike our shopping tradition, we also have a "set up a tent" tradition. Carolyn and I helped the children set up a princess and a Red Sox tent! As you can see, Ellie was inside her castle, and I was thrilled that I could actually figure out how to put this tent together. In the Fall, I had quite the time assembling Ellie's ladybug tent. It just wasn't intuitive!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

As you can see this is Gavin, along with his Red Sox tent. Despite the fact that my camera did not capture him smiling, he most certainly was smiling and very happy with his new purchase. The kids introduced me to some of their neighborhood friends and Carolyn also got some time to have Earl Grey tea and chocolate. A wonderful combination!
 
 
It was a productive day, a day filled with friendships, and a good distraction for a challenging weekend.

No comments: