Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 31, 2011

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2006, at Lake Accotink (in VA). We took Mattie to the Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta! What a sight and experience! If you have never seen homemade cardboard boats and watched their creators try to race them, then it is definitely worth a trip! The races are for ALL ages. There are children and adult competitions. I included a link to the upcoming Regatta in June. It is a wonderful and fun day, and it is fascinating to study which boats actually stay afloat and make it through the race. It was a tradition we shared as a family, and Mattie loved all the excitement. This was something Mattie wanted to actually participate in when he got older. He was looking forward to building a boat with Peter. I also figured since baseball season officially opened today, I might as well feature my two favorite Red Sox fans http://www.springfielddays.com/regatta.html

Quote of the day: There is no right way or wrong way for grief. This is something we'll never get over. ~ Joan Bonvicini

Today seemed like a blur. I started my day back at AC Moore. One of my favorite stores! Fortunately Donna's classroom project is giving me the excuse to visit and browse there. Donna, Christine, and I were so impressed with the children's paintings yesterday, that Donna and I talked about framing them. So I was on the hunt today for inexpensive poster sized frames. As usual AC Moore did not disappoint, especially since they were having a frame sale.

I met up with Ann briefly today. We occasionally get in these moods where we just need to walk around stores and see different items, colors, and get ideas. It is shopping therapy in a way, and yet through the aisles we are usually venting about something. In fact, shopping with us isn't boring.

Several close friends seem to think that Mattie's birthday, which is fast approaching on Monday is weighing heavily on my mind. Perhaps that is the case, but in all reality, each day Mattie's loss is with me, not just on his birthday. Last year, Peter and I spent the day visiting Georgetown University Hospital (and donating 100s of toys) and planting forget me not seeds in 7 different locations (7 for the number of years Mattie was alive). This year, Peter will be in Rwanda, and somehow I am not sure how to spend the day.

I continue to battle with a headache, and frankly I just view this as my lot in life. In fact I don't know what life is like without a headache. Since I have had some sort of headache each and every day for the past 9 years. I received an email from my friend Christine today who is not happy with the fact that I live in chronic pain. Most times I just deal with it, it is only episodes like this week where the pain becomes intolerable. I function, but it takes its toll on me.

This evening, I went to visit Ann's mom, Mary. I helped her with dinner, and we chatted about all sorts of things. I noticed that Mary had a piece of painted art on her window and I asked her where it came from. Low and behold, Mary told me she made it the other day during crafts hour. I complimented Mary on the colors she chose, and her first response to me was that she isn't a good artist. Naturally after my art lesson yesterday, I wasn't going to let her sit with that comment without responding. So as we looked at her painted piece, I told her that she has an eye for color and to me her painted pear looked bright, cheery, and happy. She absorbed these comments and then said she liked the activity and that it helped the day go by faster. The beauty of art! It is therapeutic and it connects people together. Our discussion over the painted pear is the perfect illustration of that.

No comments: