Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 21, 2013

Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday, January 21, 2013


Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2005. Mattie was three years old in this photo and he was in love with anything that had wheels. In fact, under our staircase he parked several wheeled vehicles. At times our home looked more like a parking lot for cars, trains, and bicycles. But it was all okay. I learned early on with Mattie that sounds from toys and objects did not bother me in the least. What got me on edge was crying and tantrums and we certainly survived many of them together. Once Mattie was able to talk, the tantrums subsided and logic and reasoning could be applied to our conversations. Mattie believed in the art of negotiation and his famous line which Peter reminded me of last night was.... "talk about it!" Mattie was like my little parrot. He adopted many of my words like "apparently," "let's talk about it," "plan," and "process."



Quote of the day: You don’t get ulcers from what you eat. You get them from what’s eating you. ~ Vicki Baum

Despite it being a National holiday, Peter had to work today. I figured I would spend the day at home catching up on a ton of Foundation work that I let lapse because I have been focused on party planning for weeks. However, last night my friend Tanja asked if I wanted to get together with her and her daughter today for lunch. I have found that getting out of our home even periodically during the day is very important for my mental health. But today was inaugural day in DC, and with that chaos ensues. Chaos on the roads. Roads were blocked everywhere near us and the usual bridge I take to cross from DC to VA was closed. My driving to Alexandria is like driving on auto pilot. I have been doing it almost daily since 2005, when Mattie entered Resurrection Children's Center. Therefore, I know all sorts of alternative routes to get from DC to Alexandria!


For the majority of residents in my region crossing over from one place to another is not only unheard of, it isn't done! But for Peter and I, we freely drive from DC to Virginia and Maryland. But I am always amazed at how unusual this seems to others. Nonetheless, I have to tell you it was rather daunting to see police cars everywhere around us and not to mention military Humvees. Near where I lived was this sight! It was eerie driving on the roads, because it seemed like an abandoned city!

Despite it being freezing today, it was nice to get out, to have lunch and chat. I enjoyed hearing what my 12 year old friend is doing in school and how she enjoys to spend her time on the weekends. She is an animal lover like myself, as well as an only child, so I find we share many things in common despite our age difference.

As I was driving in the car today, there was a commercial on the radio for migraine and headache sufferers. The announcer encouraged us to keep a diary of headache triggers. I started laughing! I do not need a trigger. As soon as I open my eyes in the morning, I have pain, and when I go to bed, I have pain. There would be NOTHING to record! I know people can't believe it, but I haven't known a headache free day since April 4th of 2002. I am going on 11 years straight! I am signing off for today since I have the start of a migraine and the less computer time for me the better.
 

No comments: