Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 15, 2013

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2006. Mattie was never really far away from me when ever we were home. If I were cooking in the kitchen, chances are, like you see here, he was there too! Mattie was a builder by heart and he liked to create structures from just about any material. That day Mattie  decided to bring his tinker toys into the kitchen. With Mattie life was never boring, it was instead always more colorful and lively!







Quote of the day: To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget. ~ Arundhati Roy


Last night as Peter and I were sitting on the couch, I began to talk with him about different issues as it related to our grief journey. I knew earlier in the day that Peter seemed to be in a funk, but I did not pursue it then, and frankly when in the moment of a funk, it isn't always the best time to be asking questions and trying to figure out the cause. It turns out Peter went to our local Whole Foods store yesterday morning. As he was checking out, the store clerk took an interest in our Mattie Miracle bright orange shopping bags that Peter brought with him to carry the groceries back home. In addition, Peter had a Mattie Miracle visor on. Any case, this woman wanted to know what Mattie Miracle was. She took an interest and she also wanted to know cancer stats, which Peter shared with her. While talking to the clerk, Peter was fine, but it was after his dialogue, while walking home, that his mood changed. I think he was perplexed by this reaction. This is the exact problem with grief, you just never know what is going to trigger a flare up. So therefore it is hard to prepare. My hunch is what set Peter off was not the woman or the dialogue BUT when the dialogue happened. Peter runs chores on weekend mornings as a diversion and coping mechanism. I believe weekends are the hardest for him, since weekend mornings Peter used to spend a great deal of time with Mattie. So now to compensate for the loss of a weekend buddy, Peter does chores. When his chores yesterday collided with talking about Mattie and cancer, I suspect that set Peter off. That may not sound reasonable or even understandable to an outsider. But to me, it makes perfect sense! Fortunately we can talk openly about these moments and funks and we usually can appreciate how the other is feeling, even if we do not always share the same triggers.  

Today was a beautiful weather day in Washington, DC and I suggested we visit the DC Aquatic Gardens. This is one of the best kept secrets in DC! It gets few visitors and those who visit like the seclusion, the serene, and peaceful surroundings. It attracts nature lovers and birders. I discovered these gardens years ago, and we faithfully took Mattie each year. Especially around July 4th, when hundreds of lotuses are in bloom. To see pond after pond filled with pink and white lotus flowers is a sight to see! It is unforgettable and breathtaking!

There were literally turtles everywhere today. The sun was brilliant and they were out basking in it!










This is a close up of a dead lotus flower. I would joke with Mattie, that after the flower bloomed what remained looked like a shower head. He always thought that was funny.







If you can picture the above stems with these beautiful pink lotus flowers on them, then this is what the entire area looks like in July. This pink lotus is the LAST flower at the gardens for the season.






There are wildflowers
everywhere and if you look closely you will see many bee visitors.










The ponds at the Gardens are also filled with amazing water lilies. When you see water lilies up close, I can understand why Claude Monet was inspired to paint them.  







The water lilies come in white, lavender, and pink colors!











The ponds are also filled with turtles and frogs. We caught this frog in action. I am pretty sure he was looking at us, while we were looking at him.









As we left the Gardens, I looked up and was captured by this face in a tree. This is ALL natural, the eyes are some type of fungus. Mattie would have gotten a total kick out of this and I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it.
















The remaining part of our day, I spent in Mattie's room. This September 8th, marked Mattie's fourth anniversary that he has been gone from our lives. For the past several months, I have been giving a lot of thought to cleaning out Mattie's room. Peter and I discussed it and today I seemed ready to start sorting. Peter encouraged me to begin which helped and my lifetime friend Karen sent me periodic funny or supportive emails throughout the day. Funny what a little moral support can do for me when having to approach such a task. So I started. 

It is a very personal decision if and when parents want to clean out their child's room after he/she dies. For those who never lost a child, it is easy to conclude that something is WRONG or unnatural about preserving the room of a dead child. I would encourage someone who feels that way, to bite their tongue and refrain from judgment. Parents are dealing with enough internal stress and strife over the room, and having another opinion in the mix is just not helpful. I know some parents who clean their child's room up immediately after a death, and I have also heard of stories in which a child's room isn't touched for twenty years after a death. Going through this with Mattie, I can appreciate either decision. Though for me, I could never have processed Mattie's room and things right after his death. I have needed these four years to come to terms with THINGS. As time progresses, I have learned that things are not as important. That I don't need every item to feel like Mattie is a part of my life. That wasn't true in the beginning. In the beginning I needed EVERYTHING!!! Touching anything back then would have been impossible. Certainly there are items that are still hard, emotionally laden, and represent our times together. Those items remain with us! 

The first big item to get removed from Mattie's room today was "Doctor Crazy Hair." I had Peter snap a photo of this statue Mattie made in clinic. One day Mattie decided to create his version of a doctor. This doctor had a stethoscope made of pipe cleaners, a thermometer made out of model magic, and I have no idea why, but this doctor also carried around a patient's toe nail (made out of an oyster shell) in his pocket! Mattie was never boring and that particular admission to the hospital (after Dr. Crazy Hair was constructed), Doctor Crazy Hair found a home right outside of Mattie's PICU room, and literally the good "Doctor" served as a sentinel.

For years, Mattie's bedroom door looked like this. Covered with a cutout of Mattie's actual body which he decorated in preschool and he also had other extraneous papers taped to his door which was how Mattie wanted it. Today we took photos of all his creations and then took the items down. The door now looks plain. Of course, all the items eventually need to come off of the walls since we plan on painting upstairs.

Mattie had an extensive collection of hot wheel cars, trains, and plastic miniature animals. I decided to keep many of these items, because I will use them as decorations for Mattie's new tree! Instead of buying these items, I thought it would make sense to use actual toys which he played with and loved.



This is just one round of bags that piled up in our hallway to be donated tomorrow. By the time all was said and done today, I gathered together 30 garbage bags full of children's books and toys. I can't even say I am a third of the way done. I have much, much more to do, but this was a start. Starting is always the hardest part. It is hard talking about the clean up of Mattie's room because I think the reaction of a blog reader will be...... GREAT!!! You most likely think that this shows great progress on my part and that is a symbol of me wanting to move forward. In actually if this is your interpretation, this would be WRONG! I am not cleaning out Mattie's room to forget him, to move forward, or because this maybe perceived as the healthy thing to do. I frankly don't care about the perception. What I do care about however is the state of Mattie's room. I am upset with the fact that it looks disorganized, like a warehouse (filled with Foundation items and materials), and the room doesn't do his memory or his creations justice. So it with this in mind, that I am solely motivated to clean up the room and provide space to highlight the memory and spirit of our Mattie.

No comments: