Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 10, 2014

Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday, October 10, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Mattie was still in preschool when this photo was taken and at this point still wanted Peter's assistance and really wanted him to accompany him on all the activities at this fall festival. When I compare these photos to the ones I have been posting, from 2007, there were big changes that occurred in a year. By kindergarten, Mattie became much more independent and wanted to do all these activities by himself. Which was an adjustment at least for me. I had grown accustomed to doing everything with Mattie, but of course understood that Mattie had to develop and mature, and this was
ultimately needed for his healthy development. 

Quote of the day: My mind turned by anxiety, or other cause, from its scrutiny of blank paper, is like a lost child–wandering the house, sitting on the bottom step to cry. ~ Virginia Woolf


My friend Tina sent me a text message today to tell me about a Science Friday radio interview featuring a medical doctor by the name of Atul Gawande. Dr. Gawande is a professor at Harvard Medical School and a surgeon at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. He just wrote a book entitled, Facing Mortality, As a doctor. This is a fascinating title when you think about it because the nature of medicine is the heal, treat, and in most cases cure people of their ills. In fact, doctors do very well when they are doing just that..... DOING! When they have nothing to do and assess, my experience is, things become much more grey and complex for them and you as the patient! I saw it in Mattie's case as he was approaching death and I see it in my own medical case when there is NO data to explain how I am feeling. I love those circumstances, because without data, guess what? To a doctor, your problem doesn't exist. Instead, you can tell they are thinking you need a psych consult instead. The problem with all of this is many doctors do not work to coordinate care and therefore they only work in their own fiefdom (or specialty area) not seeing the bigger picture of how each of your body's systems may impact the other. But I digress.

When Mattie was battling cancer, it probably is no surprise to learn that Peter and I couldn't accept the fact that he was dying. After all we were his parents! But I have to tell you, a majority of his treatment team couldn't talk to us about this issue either! It was only two nurses in particular who had the courage to approach me with this news! So I imagine when Tina heard this radio broadcast today about a doctor who wrote a book on this topic, she felt I would want to hear this because what he was saying would resonate with me. Which it did. I included the link to his transcript below, but I copied a paragraph from his article below which to me was the most meaningful:


We had no difficulty explaining the specific dangers of various treatment options, but we never really touched on the reality of his disease. His oncologists, radiation therapists, surgeons, and other doctors had all seen him through months of treatments for a problem that they knew could not be cured. We could never bring ourselves to discuss the larger truth about his condition or the ultimate limits of our capabilities, let alone what might matter most to him as he neared the end of his life. If he was pursuing a delusion, so were we. Here he was in the hospital, partially paralyzed from a cancer that had spread throughout his body. The chances that he could return to anything like the life he had even a few weeks earlier were zero. But admitting this and helping him cope with it seemed beyond us. We offered no acknowledgment or comfort or guidance. We just had another treatment he could undergo. Maybe something very good would result.


I think this paragraph says it all! But it isn't only the field of medicine that has this issue. Medicine reflects our broader societal thinking, discomfort, and fear with death. How do we talk about it with our loved ones and how to we acknowledge death? Mind you Dr. Gawande, I hate to say it, is talking ONLY about the death of adults in this article, I would like to see how he handles untimely deaths, like that of a child!? If he is uncomfortable with adults dying, I imagine he would have a field day with children. In either case, I think his radio interview does give us a lot to reflect upon which to me seem quite accurate from my own experiences in the medical world. I think the fact that he is identifying the problem, calling it out, and verbalizing it is a good thing and I wonder if his book suggests ways to address and combat the issue? After all, acknowledging, comforting, and guiding patients should be part of a doctor's job description. They are treating people not cars, machines, and computers. If they wanted to have no human emotions factored into the treatment equation then I honestly think something went wrong when they chose their profession. It gives me hope when I see doctors, and this one is also a surgeon, who speak out for connecting with their patients and advocating for them to have the best quality and dignity of life.   

Facing Mortality, As a doctor:
http://sciencefriday.com/blogs/10/09/2014/facing-mortality-as-a-doctor.html?series=33

No comments: