Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 6, 2014

Monday, October 6, 2014

Monday, October 6, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. We took Mattie to a pumpkin patch at Butler's Orchard in Maryland. One of his favorite farms --- where he got to ride on a wagon which took us out to a field to pick a pumpkin right off the vine! Butler's Orchard was an experience filled with a corn maze, a barn filled with hay for the kids to jump in, and just a lot of old fashioned fun! 


Quote of the day: Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant with the weak and wrong. Sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Gautama Buddha


I went to Virginia Hospital Center (VHC) today to get testing done of one of my issues. Going to VHC is always an experience. It is a very different hospital experience for the most part, though I don't want to be there either. No hospital is better than any hospital. PERIOD! However, VHC for the most part at least tries to have a customer service interface that helps! Naturally when you aren't feeling well, dealing with a friendly face can make a huge difference. 

Sitting in outpatient lab services today, I can safely say it was a zoo! I must have been there two hours waiting to get tests done. However, the woman who was overseeing the process and taking names and processing us through the system was stellar. She made the experience and she reminded me of Budda's quote tonight. She helped everyone! The young, the old, the frail, and she was sympathetic to all of our needs! I really think without someone like her, the crowd could have gotten totally out of control and unruly. But she kept thanking people for their patience, updated each of us on our wait, and she helped me by allowing me to go to the restroom several times! So she and I were already on the same page! 

In the midst of one hospital experience today, I worked it out so that I can see my other doctor tomorrow. She happened to have relocated herself to Baltimore. But Peter and I are making the trip to see her and I am happy that she is fitting me in because I do not think I could handle the anxiety another minute longer. I remember reading research about the physical impact of caregiving and grief on people when I was in graduate school, but now I am a living case study. It feels absolutely awful and I can't stand the constant medical scares, not to mention the taxing nature of feeling ill. All in all, it is absolutely draining on all levels and truly hard to describe.

No comments: