Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 22, 2022

Friday, April 22, 2022

Friday, April 22, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2005. That weekend we took Mattie to Bunnyland at Butler's Orchard in Maryland. We loved this farm and appreciated their fall and spring festivals. At Bunnyland, Mattie got to hunt for Easter eggs, go on a wagon ride, and participate in many other fun activities. It was a time to remember. I am so glad that Peter snapped a photo of us in front of this bunny made of hay. 






Quote of the day: Caregiving often calls us to lean into love we didn’t know possible. ~ Tia Walker


My day started at the hospital taking a cardiac CT. My doctor ordered this test because I have fluctuating cholesterol levels from year to year, and due to my parents cardiac issues, she wanted me tested now. Of course to get to the hospital at 9:45am, I had to get up early to manage my dad. I got him up, showered, dressed, and having breakfast before I left. I really did not give much thought about this test, until I was in the machine. 

The tech was lovely! However, as soon as the machine went on, I remembered all the CT scans with Mattie. He was deathly afraid of this device. I remember I would tell him the machine was like a race track. You can actually see something rotating around the ring, and if you try to imagine a mini race car speeding around you, it does help pass the time. Or it did with Mattie. In either case while in the machine, I remembered the racing car story I used to tell Mattie. I went through that narrative in my head, but I also reflected on a graver one. After all, it was doing a CT scan of Mattie lungs, that we learned that his cancer was in all of his limbs. Something we weren't prepared to find out and frankly any time you do an assessment, just about anything can be discovered. Life can change instantly with just ONE TEST. I literally had to calm myself down while in this machine, because I have to remind myself that not every test produces a death sentence. It takes a lot of discipline not to fly off the handle with testing, given my experiences with Mattie. 

In any case, a cardiac CT scan for coronary calcium is a non-invasive way of obtaining information about the presence, location and extent of calcified plaque in the coronary arteries—the vessels that supply oxygen-containing blood to the heart muscle. Calcified plaque results when there is a build-up of fat and other substances under the inner layer of the artery. This material can calcify which signals the presence of atherosclerosis, a disease of the vessel wall, also called coronary artery disease (CAD). People with this disease have an increased risk for heart attacks. In addition, over time, progression of plaque build up can narrow the arteries or even close off blood flow to the heart. The result may be chest pain or a heart attack.

Because calcium is a marker of CAD, the amount of calcium detected on a cardiac CT scan is a helpful prognostic tool. The findings on cardiac CT are expressed as a calcium score. Thankfully my calcium score was ZERO! Which indicates no calcification within the coronary arteries. The chance of having a heart attack over the next two to five years is very low under these circumstances. One blessing for the week or year!

When I got home from the hospital, I answered a few emails and then took Sunny for a walk. After the walk, I took my parents out to lunch. They are both under the weather today from their second COVID booster shot. My mom feels exhausted and my dad has an extreme bout of diarrhea. I have been changing him all day. Finally tonight I gave up, and administered Imodium. I use this rarely with my dad, as Imodium caused him to get an impacted colon, which required hospitalization in 2020. But I am afraid he will get dehydrated otherwise, especially since he is on a diuretic. 

Along my walk with Sunny today, I snapped a photo of my neighbor's cherry trees. They are incredible. 
Check out this fox. He was staring at us while we were walking. If I let Sunny off his leash, he would have given that fox a work out. 
Peter snapped a photo of my boy outside in the sunshine and enjoying our backyard. Peter has been working very hard in the backyard and he is slowly transforming it. To me it is as beautiful as a park. 
Peter knows I love canna lilies. So he planted bulbs around the property. They are starting to shoot up, and to me this is an official start of spring. 



No comments: