Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 23, 2022

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2004. Mattie was two years old and that day we took him to the National Arboretum. We loved to go there around Mattie's birthday because they had an azalea garden in bloom. My joke to Mattie was that these flowers bloomed in honor of his birthday. In typical Mattie fashion, he collected something along his journey that day..... two dandelions. This was a signature Mattie move, because when ever we went out walking, a piece of nature always came back with us. 





Quote of the day: The simple act of caring is heroic. ~ Edward Albert


The morning started with my usual chaos. I got my dad up. He proceeded to say that he had to go to the bathroom, but was just going to go in the shower rather use the toilet. I of course said.... NO! While using the toilet, he has a habit or putting his hands in the bowl before he flushes. He literally will take a wad of toilet paper and dip it into dirty toilet water, to wash himself with it. No matter how many times I tell him NOT to do this, it falls on deaf ears. Instead he tries to rationalize with me that the water in the toilet is clean. Wrong on many counts! 

It is a glorious weather day, so Sunny and I went on a big walk. Sunny deals with fall and winter weather much better than spring and summer. The heat slows him down, so we have to take periodic breaks and I always bring water with me for him. 


During the weekends, I typically take my mom to open houses. Yes I just bought a house, but I like to know what is around me and how much things are selling for. Certainly while buying our house, I got a great education. Sometimes I like to see open houses to see how they are decorated or what is being featured. So far, I can't say I have come away with any ideas. Today we saw a property with a water feature, it was right on a lake. The views were incredible. But it was a very unique property and not a good match for most buyers. 

Because I am tired of seeing my dad sleeping in his chair by day when he is home, I brought him in the car with us as we were touring houses. He never got out of the car, but at least it was a diversion. As I feel sleeping begets more sleeping and it isn't good stimulation for his mind or body. After his reaction to the COVID shot yesterday, the only way to go from that was up. It was a gastrointestinal nightmare Friday and it would be wonderful to have a day free of chores, meeting needs, and providing care. Not going to happen, but it would be nice. 

No comments: