Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 17, 2022

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie received this cute bunny hat for Easter from Team Mattie. As you can see Mattie was not in a photo kind of mood. None the less, he did put the hat on his head, let me snap the photo, but without showing his eyes. One would think that being home between cancer treatments would be great. For us it was never great! Mattie was typically not feeling well and was contending with depression, anxiety, and trauma. This was challenging to balance alone, without a team of healthcare providers to lend support. Which was most likely why Mattie never batted an eyelash when he knew he had to return to the hospital. I believe he was comfortable at the hospital and it provided him mental and emotional stimulation and support that home just couldn't do. 


Quote of the day: All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. ~ Winston Churchill


It was another busy morning. Typically my parents like fruit and cereal for breakfast, but today I changed it up. I made hard boiled eggs. Specifically because I wanted to do an egg taste test. We bought farm fresh eggs yesterday at the local farmer's market. I compared them with store bought eggs this morning. Frankly none of us could taste the difference. The only thing I noticed was a difference in color and texture, with the farm fresh eggs having a more tender and soft yolk. 

I jumped from one task after the other today, and I should mention I have a winner of a migraine as well. It was so bad that I felt dizzy and nauseous this morning and went down to the kitchen at 6:30am to get my rescue medication. Fortunately I am used to working through this pain, otherwise my household would come to a standstill.

While working at the computer today to finalize the Foundation's April newsletter, I had a cat companion.... Miss Indie. 
 
Meanwhile Peter has been transforming our backyard. He has been working very hard at weeding, mulching, digging trenches so water doesn't collect, and of course planting and creating these wonderful flower pot compositions. 
I bought three tomato plants at the farmer's market yesterday. I am hoping we have some luck with them. 
Pops of color are being planted. 
The previous owner of the house left us a few lovely flower pots. He also left us a lot of junk which we had to get rid of, but that is another conversation. Peter planted a lavender plant into this blue pot, and when it starts to bloom, it should look lovely. Did you know bugs do not like lavender? It is nature's natural insecticide!


No comments: