Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 13, 2023

Monday, March 13, 2023

Monday, March 13, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. I took this photo because I wanted to capture the antics that typically occurred in Mattie's room! The two women with blond hair are Whitney and Lesley. They were both child life interns and phenomenal people! Mattie loved them, which was high praise, because Mattie didn't get along with everyone, especially when so sick. The fellow peeking out of the door is Brandon. Brandon was Mattie's best buddy. The boys met at the hospital, as Brandon was diagnosed with cancer about a month after Mattie. Despite their age difference, they were amazing friends. 



Quote of the day: Gratitude turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity...it makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~ Melody Beattie


We have become good friends with all the wonderful individuals who serve us when I take my parents out to eat. I have become so connected with them, that I have their cell phone numbers and we chat throughout the week and I always give them a head's up when we are coming in. 

Every Sunday, we go to the same restaurant for an early dinner. Cheryl is our server at this particular restaurant. Cheryl has been following Peter's job search and she has been sharing in my angst for over a week, as we were awaiting a job offer for Peter. I shared the good news with Cheryl about the offer on Saturday. 

Don't you know that when we arrived at our restaurant table on Sunday afternoon, Cheryl surprised Peter with a beautiful card, flowers, a balloon, 'Yay' plates and napkins.

The wonderful balloon! The special part about all of this is we weren't expecting any of this and Peter was very surprised and truly touched by her kindness. 
Peter and Cheryl!
This is the meaningful card Cheryl wrote to Peter. I thought it was so touching that I snapped a photo of it!

It reads:

Dear Peter, 

Congrats!!! I'm so very happy for you (& Vicki)!!

Reverba took months and months trying to find the..... Perfect man for the job, the right man for the job, and the very best man for the job.... not to mention, the most capable, caring man to take over the company, to be president and they were "smart" enough to realize that's YOU!

No doubt your contribution, hard work, and leadership skills will greatly benefit so many people's lives. I wish you every happiness, success and satisfaction in your new, well-deserved position!! Love Cheryl

When I got home, I placed the flowers in a vase and have all these items in our front hallway. Cheryl was able to do all the things I would have wanted to do! Which makes me grateful. 


Yesterday evening, Peter and I went over to my neighbor's house. My neighbor has her own hands full, as two out of her four children have special needs and she recently moved into the house. So she constantly has a juggling act going. Not unlike what I have going on in our house, but for different reasons. 

We played the card game, Five Crowns, together! I had my neighbor's 11 year old explain the rules of the game to me, but basically Peter and I consulted with YouTube before we went over and saw a tutorial on how to play. Since I am not really a card game, or board game person in general, I needed all the help I could get.

Make a long story short, I caught on quick, as the game is very similar to Gin Rummy. Naturally I haven't played with kids for quite some time. What is typically evident is that kids gravitate to Peter first. Peter knows how to horse around, make jokes, and naturally draws kids in. While Peter was doing that, I was observing everything and everyone and getting an idea of what was going on throughout the house. After we played with my neighbor's 11 year old, then her four year old woke up and came downstairs. The four year old calls Peter, "Mr. Peter" and she has met him before and enjoys interacting with him. In any case, the little girl wanted to play Candy Land with us, so we played several rounds and then at 9:30pm, I stood up, left Peter behind, and headed back home to take my dad upstairs to bed.  

No comments: