Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 16, 2023

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was home between treatments and as you can see was doing water play in our living room. I can't tell you how many times this particular space in our home was used for water, paint, Legos, trains, and even clay. Mattie was a very hands-on fellow and though we never used the pink basin for medical reasons, we brought it home from the hospital so Mattie had another receptacle to fill with water! Despite all that he was going through, don't you just love that smile?




Quote of the day: Anxiety happens when you think you have to figure out everything all at once. Breathe. You're strong. You got this. Take it day by day. ~ Karen Salmansohn


I would have to say today I am a combination of exhausted and frustrated! The Research Team, that the Foundation is working with, had a call at 9am this morning. Though I would have liked to participate on the call, it was impossible given all that I am balancing. At that time of morning, I have to get my dad up, showered, dressed and downstairs for breakfast, because his physical therapist comes at 11am on Thursdays. I try NOT to dwell on all the things I am missing out on. Not just caring for myself, interacting with friends, but also being a professional human being! 

Caregiving has resulted in one thing...... a complete fading of Vicki the person. Because I couldn't be on the call today, I had Peter participate. Of course Peter can represent the Foundation beautifully and frankly on conference calls, he is much better than me, because his consulting skills kick in and he has a way of drawing out dialogue and insights from everyone. Nonetheless, I still wasn't happy about not being on the call. I am not sure if it is the call itself that upset me, or the sheer fact that I have no independence or freedom. 

On another note, my dad is super fixated on Peter. He always wants Peter to be going out with us when we eat (which isn't possible given that Peter had been looking for a job and is now focused on house projects), and my dad's latest kick is his focus on how happy he is that Peter found a great job opportunity. My dad is very fond of Peter and my dad reminded me today (as if I needed this), the enormous stress Peter was under because of his job hunting. Honestly some moments I can go with the flow, and others, I just can't! This afternoon, after hearing this lament about Peter twenty times, during the 21st time, I said, I GET IT! I know all about Peter's stresses, but if my dad wanted the TRUE 411 on daily stresses, I would enlighten him. Of course I never did! But my parents don't see my stresses, how I am compromising my own life to manage these daily 24/7 tasks, and this all frustrates me. I am very tired and this contributes to my inability to be a mature, kind, and rational person all the time. When feeling this way, I have to pause, take a deep breath and as today's quote points out, I have to take it 'day by day.'

No comments: