Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 18, 2023

Saturday, March 18, 2023

Saturday, March 18, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Believe it or not, this was a physical therapy session taking place in the hallway of the pediatric units. Mattie had everyone participating, from his art therapist, nurse, child life intern, hospital volunteer, and his buddy, Brandon. The incredible energy, compassionate, and care provided by all of these individuals to us were extraordinary. I do not know how we would have made it on a day by day basis without these super human beings! What you can't tell, from this photo, was that ABBA music was playing in the background. The group posed to Dancing Queen, a song that will always have special meaning!


Quote of the day: Do not let the roles you play in life make you forget that you are human. ~ Roy T. Bennett


My dad's physical therapist comes to our home every Thursday and Saturday. This is a new arrangement, as we started with Laura last Thursday. So today was session #3. However, I knew Laura would work out well because she works part time at the hospital and this is where we first met her. 

When my dad's physical therapy sessions were covered under Medicare, we worked with Laura. However, Medicare covers just so much and most definitely doesn't cover on-going physical therapy in the home. Which is why I first turned to a personal trainer to work with my dad. The trainer that was assigned to work with us was fabulous! We all loved Teddy. But then a month into working with Teddy, a family member of his was diagnosed with cancer, and he had to move out of town for family support. It was a big loss to say good-bye to Teddy, because he had great positive energy and my dad responded to him. 

After losing Teddy, I was scrambling. I mentioned to my mom's physical therapist that we needed to find a Teddy replacement, and it was at that point she told me that Laura does private practice work in clients' homes. This is a blessing because my dad responds better to an outsider when it comes to exercising. I have to pick my battles and I take on more than enough each day, so I am happy to turf this crucial part of my dad's week to Laura. I also like the fact that Laura and the team at the hospital are familiar with my dad and that Laura can keep my dad's rehab doctor apprised on his therapy progress. 


While my dad was working with Laura today, I hopped back on the computer and completed two more training modules! I am hoping to have this one course completed tomorrow, so I can begin the second training course on Monday. I am motivated to complete these mandatory courses in a timely fashion, because my ability to serve on the Standards research team is contingent on this and the team is working on a large scale research study to help implement our Standards of Care. 

Look how cute our Easter chickees are when they are lit up at night!!! 


No comments: