Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 20, 2010

Monday, December 20, 2010

Monday, December 20, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002, Mattie was 8 months old. This was a classic Mattie look when he was consuming a bottle. His eyes would zone out, glaze over, and he would be in absolute peace. It was an expression that stays with me even today, because besides calm and peace, to me Mattie's eyes were showing true love.

Quote of the day: Our grief always brings a gift. It's the gift of greater sensitivity and compassion for others. We learn to rise above our own grief by reaching out and lessening the grief of others. ~ Robert Schuller

Tonight's quote resonates with me because of an email exchange I had today with Karen. As many of my readers know, Karen (not the same Karen who is my lifetime friend) is Keaton's mom, and Keaton lost his battle with Osteosarcoma this year. Karen and I write to each other periodically, but when I read her most recent comment on our blog yesterday, I felt compelled to reach out to her. As I told her, she has a way of writing to me at the most needed of times. At times when I feel quite alone, misunderstood, and worse when I feel like it is hard to continue on. When she responded to the email I sent her today, I wasn't expecting to hear mutual feelings in return. Karen is in Arkansas and I am in Washington, DC. We never met each other, ever! Yet despite this lack of knowledge and history with each other, we are operating and living in parallel worlds. Sometimes when I read Karen's postings on her son's website, I find that my head it nodding up and down in complete agreement with what she is expressing. Not all mom's experience grief in a similar way, or even express it in a similar fashion. Yet Karen and I understand each other, and it is in such moments when someone truly understands and feels what you feel that a deep gift is given and received.

My day began by having to catch Patches (our cat), cage her, and then transport her to our vet for boarding. Patches is a very sensitive and anxious cat, anything from her normal routine is very upsetting to her. I always feel terrible having to put her in her cage and then feel a sense of guilt as I drop her off for boarding. Fortunately though this vet understands Patches and her whole staff LOVES Patches. In fact, as soon as I enter with Patches in hand, everyone makes a big fuss over her. The staff was disappointed today to learn that she will only be there for a week. Remember they are used to having Patches for months on end when Mattie was in treatment.

I went today for a manicure and pedicure. Sometimes I find that relaxing. I brought a book with me, with every intention of reading and not engaging in conversation. But that did not happen. The young lady doing my nails began talking with me, and needless to say we talked the entire time. I learned that she is studying to be a physician's assistant at Georgetown University. That is all I needed to hear, because I had a lot to say on that subject. We talked about careers, family, pets, and of course Mattie. What I find ironic about myself is part of me wants to shut off the outside world and keep to myself, and the other part of me won't. I enjoy learning about other people, how they live their lives, hearing about their observations, thoughts, and feelings.

I spent the rest of a day in a funk however, and my lack of sleep isn't helping how I am feeling emotionally. Though we are boarding a plane tomorrow afternoon, Peter has big plans for tonight. He will be up and watching the Lunar Eclipse. He promises to take pictures, and I find it amazing how the moon will be turning an orange/red color. Seems like a true sign that "Mattie Moon" is out there and exists. Red was Mattie's favorite color, and if the moon is going to turn a color, red seems like the appropriate choice. I have a feeling watching this eclipse will be bittersweet for Peter since this is something he most likely wanted to do with Mattie. They both had this fascination with weather, the moon, and the stars. For those of you who want more information on the eclipse, I included it below.

Tonight I sign off from Washington, DC and will be writing to you from Los Angeles tomorrow. As always, it means a great deal to Peter and I that you continue reading, that you stay connected, and that you care about the future of the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation.

________________________________________________
Tonight's Lunar Eclipse


If the sky is clear, experts say the show might be extra spectacular, as the moon will have a reddish glow.
A lunar eclipse takes place when the sun, Earth and moon are all perfectly aligned with the Earth in the middle. When the moon passes behind the Earth, the sun's rays are blocked from striking the moon. This can only occur when the moon is full.  As the moon moves deeper into Earth's shadow, indirect sunlight passes through Earth's atmosphere, casting an orange and red hue over the moon.

Tonight’s Lunar Eclipse for December 20, 2010 makes history as the first Winter Solstice Eclipse in 456 years. In fact, tonight’s total lunar eclipse is so significant that NASA admits that researchers aren’t sure when the next solstice eclipse will happen. To understand the significance of tonight’s event, NASA this week revealed to news how this spectacular differs from other eclipses this year and next year.

First, tonight’s eclipse is a total lunar eclipse. The last total lunar eclipse was two years ago on February 20, 2008. If you miss tonight, you are in luck. Two total lunar eclipse will light up the sky early next year on June 15, 2011 and later on December 10, 2011.

Second, tonight’s spectacular is the second eclipse this year. A partial lunar eclipse lit up the sky on June 26. Another partial can be seen in just days from now on June 4, 2011.

Third, this is the first Winter Solstice lunar eclipse since 1638. When will be the next one? NASA doesn’t even know the answer. “This solstice eclipse is the first in 456 years, although so far it appears that no one has figured out when the next solstice eclipse will be.”

So when is the start time? Unlike other spectaculars in the sky this year, tonight’s total lunar eclipse will reach different peak times on the west coast compared to the east coast, says NASA to news. The east coast won’t be able to see the totality commencing until after midnight. But on the west coast, the totality will begin before midnight. Outside of North America, it will appear as a partial, not total, lunar eclipse, says NASA to news.

Start time will be Tuesday December 21st at 1:33 am EST on the east coast; west coast residents will see tonight’s total lunar eclipse commence on Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST. This time refers to when the eclipse will begin (partially).

“Totality”, which refers to the total lunar eclipse, will be achieved at 02:41 am EST on the east coast, and 11:41 pm PST on the west coast. Totality will last 72 minutes, says NASA to news.
And when is the best time to see tonight’s event? NASA reveals they know the exact peak time for tonight’s total lunar eclipse. It will be at 03:17 am EST or 17 minutes past midnight PST.
______________________________________________

No comments: